*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2072239-Plunge-Into-the-Dark
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2072239
In the dark, pulled into the light, pushed back into the dark, accompanied by loud cheers.
When I woke, I could see nothing. Everything was completely dark. I felt around and the walls seemed a little soft. It was a small and tight space, but there was no way out that I could see.

Something big snatched me from above, and light poured into my vision like a flashing camera. It took a few seconds to get used to the light, but when I did, I could see that in front of me was a large audience, clapping their hands together like it was what they were made to do.

The sound of the applause was mixed with loud cheers from some interesting members of the crowd. A kid with a hood - it must have been raining outside. A stocky man with a bright red beard was cheering at the top of his lungs.

I started feeling pretty good about myself - they were clapping and cheering for me! Wow, what had happened to me that I was suddenly so great?

Those thoughts came to an abrupt stop as I was dropped back into the darkness, turned upside down, and then shook like a rag doll.

Through the thin walls of my dark prison I could hear the loud applause. Why were they cheering for whatever had put me back in here? The monsters!

As I started to sob, I could hear a faint voice saying, “Pretzels, pretzels! One dollar a pretzel!”



The magician put the white rabbit back into the top hat, turned it upside down, and then shook it wildly. The hat was empty!

“That magic show rocked!” exclaimed a boy in a hood.

“You said it!” replied the boy’s dad, a man with a red beard.

“Pretzels, pretzels! One dollar a pretzel!” called a vendor carrying a tray of pretzels.
© Copyright 2016 Chester Banks (chesterbanks at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2072239-Plunge-Into-the-Dark