*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2247454-Superhuman-cop-When-the-badges-come-off
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by flash
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2247454
I talk about my day out with my partners on the force.
Greta and I just got back from a predictably long and exhausting day on the force. You know you've had a tough day when even you, a super powered human get tired.

Same with Greta, a griffin; one of the toughest creatures known to man. Alexis the gargoyle, however, shrugged it out and said it was nothing to it, but we knew she could use a breather herself. Always the rough and tumble ones, am I right? Anyway...


As soon as Greta and I returned home, the first things on both our minds was, of course a hot meal and some much needed rest. I was on the dining table when I noticed Greta was walking to her giant pot. She removed the lid and right away, I was hit with a scent. It was rather appetizing. Greta says she was making beef stew which I happen to enjoy. What peaked my curiosity was where the meat came from? She says that the meat is from various criminals who were so dangerous and beyond salvation, that they were sentenced to execution and there were lots of them over the years.

I know what you're thinking...and yes, it IS pretty brutal, but that's one of the perks to living with mythological creatures. Some tend to be cannibals. I didn't mind though. After all, I didn't really want to keep relying on just eggs for protein.

Greta told me that the stew was ready and filled up a mug for me to enjoy. The mug itself was big enough to be my own personal hot tub, and I should know: I've actually asked Greta to fill my mug with hot water. You know, just to relax my muscles. Greta filled up a bowl for herself and started digging in, while at the same time taking care not to accidentally slurp up the stew in my mug, as well as myself. There were times when she did almost eat me...and then that one time when she DID eat me and I had to go through....stuff. *SHUDDERS* But that's another story.

Anyway, after dinner and some ways of entertaining such as reading a story, we decided to call it a night. Greta got to her bed and made sure I was nice and comfy on her soft lion fur and said, "Rest up little guy. I have a nice day out planned for us." as she gently gave my cheek a little tickle with her claw before laying down to rest before I did the same. Laying down on Greta's body was soothing as usual as well as her rising up and down due to her breathing and the soft gentle beating that is her heart.


The next day, we woke up a little close to noon; one of the perks of a day off. Greta and I shared an omelette and juice for breakfast, as well as bacon (Also meat from dangerous convicts). I was pretty excited and also curious as to what Greta does on her time off. Thankfully, it wasn't long before our bonding started. Greta offered her claw right in front of me, and I hopped on, having her carry me to her head and me sliding down to her back as she exited her house.

Greta was flying high above the clouds, allowing me to take in the view and cool breeze. While I do have powers, unfortunately flying was not one of them, and I had to rely on Greta or Alexis for aerial transportation. While enjoying the view, I noticed other flying creatures such as pegasi and hippogriffs. It made me realize that I have yet to meet other creatures of this world and maybe today, I would do just that. I thought to myself, "This place becomes more of a dream come true every minute." while smiling. I then noticed Greta descending from the sky. Looks like we reached our destination. I got a good look at it.


It was a beach!

I grew more excited at the beautiful sight. I hadn't been to a beach in....a long time really. Greta landed on the sandy ground and said, "Here we are. One of my favorite hangouts." I could see why of course. I can see the ocean roaring, what appeared to be a concession stand, as well as other creatures playing such as trolls, werewolves, and even a Sphinx. Some of them were anthropomorphic! I was stunned. I then saw someone whom I was wondering when we'd see: Alexis in what appeared to be a lifeguard suit.

"Uhh does she work here too?" I asked Greta.

"No. This is just something she likes to do." She said rather humorously.

We then heard her shouting, "HEY YOU TWO! SETTLE DOWN!" to a couple of children who are throwing sand at each other and they stopped, though I could see they were irritated by her barking. I chuckled a bit. She then noticed us and walked over greeting us.

"Hey girl!" she said to Greta, her claw catching hers in a high five while looking down at me, "Hey shorty, how's the view down there?" she said giving me a slight poke on my chest. I gave her a quick "meh" and brushed off one of her claws as she chuckles to her joke.

Before we got to having fun at this little paradise, the girls wanted to introduce me to some of her friends. I was excited once again, with so many questions lingering: Who are they? WHAT are they? Their personalities, their hobbies. Mostly, will they like me? A small human who can somehow lift a boulder with one hand, who can run like the wind, who can make an ice cube out of thin air?

My thoughts were interrupted when I noticed that, somehow, we were already surrounded by other creatures. "Whoa!" I thought to myself. I was then grabbed by Alexis and brought forward for others to get a good look at me while Greta introduced me, "This is our little friend/partner who is called a " Human".

I looked and saw three creatures in front of me. One was a large purple troll, one was an anthropomorphic phoenix with red and gold feathers and the last was what appeared to be a naga which is half human, half cobra. Bizarre, I know.

All I could was give a nervous wave and a simple, "Hey." Just then a male voice spoke, "No way!" It was coming from the troll who apparently spoke in a surfer dude's tone. "I thought you gals were gonna prank us!" He laughed.

The phoenix then spoke in a rather loud fangirlish kind of way "Oh my gosh! HE'S SO CUTE!!!" She squealed loudly. It was enough to break glass.

The naga looked closer at me and spoke in a low pitched female voice "Huh. You kinda look like me except, well, you know." she said with both arms crossed and pressed against her.

Looks like I was off to a good start. Greta then spoke, "Well anyway, let me introduce you. This is Kahuna." She said motioning to the troll. "This is Patricia" She continued, motioning to the Phoenix. "And this is Raine" she finished, now motioning to the naga. They all said their "Hello's"

Kahuna: "What's up?"

Patricia: "Hiyeee!"

Raine: "Hey."

I gave them all another wave before getting started with the beach activities.

The first activity was a classic beach game: Volleyball! Kahuna begged me to be on his team. He says he wants some "Dude power". (His words, not mine). I chuckled and then agreed and he, of course was "Stoked". Also on our side was Patricia so we have a flyer on our team. So it was us Vs. Greta, Alexis and Raine. We got to our positions. Alexis then joked to Greta, " Heads up, girl. Looks like our little rookie is about to replace us. Heheheh!" She said while Greta rolled her eyes at that comment. We then began our game.

We all proved to be great players, including Raine who pretty much stood in one spot and simply hit the ball with one hand, but Alexis proved to be the toughest, pretty much scoring all the points. I however wasn't going down without a fight and called my team to huddle. It was only for a minute when I told them my plan and then got back to playing. Kahuna served the ball and went over to the girl's side with both Raine and Greta bouncing the ball higher for Alexis to strike again. As soon as she did, out of nowhere, I zipped right in front and managed to strike the ball back, slamming right on the opposing team's side, finally scoring! Our team cheered, while the other looked stunned. Nevertheless, the game wasn't over yet, so I kept repeating the same secret process in order to secure our victory.

The score was tied and this next game would decide it all. We we're determined to win this game. The ball was served and after several hits, Alexis was ready to finally win this. Unknown to her, I had a plan to finish this. Finally, the ball came to Alexis and the Gargoyle mustered all her strength and struck the ball hard. And I mean HARD! The ball was coming to me and I prepared myself. When it was close enough, I struck it with both hands sending it skyward! Everyone looked up in shock, wondering if the ball was ever coming back down. That is until I climbed Patricia's feathery body up to her face and whispered something to her. She listened and smiled at the idea. Suddenly, the ball was flying back down. Like an asteroid. When it was close enough, Patricia flew up high, closing in at the incoming object. Patricia turned out be an amazing flyer. She was actually glowing! Like a Pokémon using sky attack! Once she was close enough, she shouted, "NOW" and in no time, I jumped off her head and struck the ball, again with all my might, downward to the other teams side. Our rivals were caught in a surprise and tried to strike back. All together, they tried to catch it, but missed by just a centimeter, causing the ball to land on the sandy ground. Game, set and match! We cheered, Kahuna gave me five, Patricia hugged me gently, while Greta sighed in defeat, Alexis huffed, and Raine simply said, "Oh well. We should've seen that coming."

After our game, Kahuna wanted me to try out his favorite activity: Surfing. Since there wasn't a surfboard my size, Kahuna says that I could stand on his head, like he's a surfboard himself, since his head is hard. Corny, I know, but it actually works. Once the waves were coming, we both hanged ten with him on the board and me on, well, him. He turned out to be a great surfer. We both made it back to shore without falling overboard and Kahuna said I was "Gnarly" and next time, I would be "Tubular". That guy sure has a way with words.

Next, I joined Patricia on her favorite activity: Para sailing. Though her idea was just flying around over the great sea, taking in the view, smelling that sweet ocean air and listening to the crys of seagulls. I was actually ok with it. Riding on Patricia was just like riding on Greta; smooth, except instead of lion fur, I was riding on feathers. They were surprisingly sturdy as I held on to them.

Raine's idea was playing in the sand, and by in the sand, I mean IN the sand! Apparently, she likes to burrow underground and move around like the way Bugs Bunny does in those old cartoons. She does this either to look for " treasures " that anyone might leave behind or to sneak up and scare other beach goers. A tad harsh, sure, but harmless. Heck, I could use a good scaring myself. Even though I'd get sand in my shorts, it was still worth it.

After bonding with new friends, I decided to take a breather at a nearby pier overlooking the great wide blue. As I was deep in thought, I wondered if there were any creatures living under the sea. Surely, there had to be some right? Then, out of nowhere, I heard something. It sounded like singing. It was majestic, but also loud. I turned around to see if anyone was making that sound. When I did however, i saw that something was wrong.

My friends and other beach goers stopped doing their activities. Not only that, but their expressions looked...blank. Like they were under a spell. Yet the singing continued. Then it hit me. As a guy who knows about mythological creatures, I remember learning about one that has the power to put others in a daze. A siren! I then realized that I was unaffected by this bewitching voice. I had to put that mystery on hold though as apparently, I had a new case to handle. And on my day off, I might add. What are the odds?

I searched around for the source of the relentless noise, but couldn't seem to find anything. Whoever this was sure was good at staying hidden. As I walked around some palm trees, I noticed a trail leading to somewhere. The way it looked, it seemed that something crawled from out of the ocean and into the forest. My best bet was to follow it. As I did, the sound became louder which meant I was getting close.

Then I saw it. "Her" actually.

It was a mermaid type of siren. It made sense considering where we were. This mermaid was beautiful. The usual pale skin, a dolphin tale, luxurious hair. There was something else about her though. She was wearing tons of jewelry. The basic necklace, earrings, bracelet, even a jewel encrusted tiara. They all looked pretty fancy. Like they could sell for billions. A "Pawn Stars" episode to remember, that's for sure. Still, this creature was behind the hypnotizing voice and I had to do something, but what? After some thinking, I decided to confront her about this and see what her excuse was. So I marched over and try to get her attention.

"Hello?" I called out. She heard me and drew her attention towards me. She smiled and said, "Well hello handsome." Her voice was rather sexy. No wonder everyone was entranced. She brought her face closer to me and continued speaking, "What brings you all the way out here? I mean, other than me of course. Heehee". I wasn't sure where to go from here, so I guess the least I could do was get to know her. Maybe it'll give me information I could report. I spoke, "Umm, are you a mermaid?" Of all things to ask, THAT had to be it on my first impression with her! She chuckled and answered, "Why yes. You seem to be a nice little guy so allow me to introduce myself. My name is Doreen Dolphin as you can see by my tail." She said as she waved it around. "Makes sense" I said. She spoke again, "And you are?" I told her my name. She seemed pleased to meet as she brought a hand to her face and blew a kiss at me. Classic flirt move. I then asked where she got all that jewelry she was wearing as I had never seen so much at once. Doreen looked around for a second and then motioned me to come closer before answering. She said, "This isn't all mine actually. I'm what you call a sea thief." "A sea thief?" I repeated. "I thought pirates were known as sea thieves." Doreen shook her head, "No dear. You see, in the world of thievery, all is fair game. I however play it the best way I know how. Simply by singing a "special" song to "distract" others. Once that's done, I swoop right in and grab the stuff as fast as I can. I can only stay on land for so long, you see."

I nodded my head, understanding her juicy little secret I could report to the force. Doreen spoke again, "Since you're a sweet little guy who obviously is lost and homeless, I can let you in on the fun." I was taken aback by this. Maybe I could use this "Partnership" to my advantage. I told her I was in and she squealed I excitement. She then scooped me up with her hands and placed me on her shoulder. She spoke again, "All right my little partner in crime! Let's see what we can score today! Oh but first, cover your ears!" I did so, and as expected, she opened her mouth and was, no doubt, singing that mind controlling song. A minute later she stopped and I took my fingers out of my ears. She then told me to hold on tight and I did, as she climbed out of her private pond and slithered out to the beach. When we got there, we looked at the beach goers. As expected, they were all in a trance again. Doreen began her treasure hunting and didn't find much. She then continued and I could see my partners and new friends up ahead. They looked so...helpless. I felt bad. I knew I had to do something, but I was looking for the right moment. It was then that Doreen was getting closer to Patricia. Doreen saw what appeared to be handbag next to Patricia. Doreen was suddenly feeling woozy. "Oh dear." She said. "I need to get back into the water." She grabbed me and gently placed onto the sandy ground and then hurried to the water to refresh herself. She dove down and came back up, her energy back to normal. "Ahh, much better." She said. I asked her what now and she said, "That handbag." I looked at Patricia's prized possession and asked Doreen, "Uhh, do you want me to look inside?" What she said next caught me off guard. "No. Bring me the bag. That way we'll have it and whatever is inside." I couldn't believe what I just heard. She really is a thief! I couldn't do this. Especially to one of my new friends. It was now or never. I had to bust her. I said to her, "No." Now she was caught off guard by my response. "What do you mean " no"? She demanded.
The jig was up and I told her, "I mean you're under arrest for theft!" I told her I was a cop and she was shocked. Just then I heard confused voices behind me. I look at friends and they're returning to their senses.

"What?" Patricia said. I try calling out to her but then that familiar singing voice rang in our ears yet again! Everyone was back in a trance. Except me still. I turned around and saw Doreen had finished singing. She looked at me and saw that I was still normal, much to her shock. She asked in her demanding tone, "What? Why didn't you fall under my spell?!" I answered back, "Well for one thing, I'm not interested in dating! Second, I'm no ordinary creature!" I said as I zipped out of her sight. She looked around wondering where I disappeared to, while I went full out Flash on the water. In no time flat, I managed to swipe every piece of jewelry she was wearing, placing it all on the shore. I looked back at the sneaky siren and saw she was looking at her reflection. Then gave out a shriek. Her face went from horror to anger. "Look what you did! You made me less beautiful! You're gonna pay!" She screamed and then caught me with her huge hand. She then attempted to crush me but thanks to my strength, I easily broke free, running on the water again. The mermaid chased me. While she was a fast swimmer, I was still faster, whether on land or sea. I looked back and didn't see her behind me. I guess I lost her already... I was wrong!

Out of nowhere, Doreen popped out of the ocean, making a huge splash and sending me flying. It wasn't long before she caught me with her hand yet again. She then looked at me with an evil smile while I wondered what her next move was. She then spoke, "Well, you're pretty strong for a little guy, but I can't let you go. Not after this!" She then raised me over her face and licked her lips. Oh no! " Wait! Are you going to..." I said before she answered, "Oh trust me, my sweet. Eating you will hurt me much, much more!" She opened her mouth and dropped me in. In no time I was gulped down, falling to the center while hearing her laugh in triumph. When I landed in her belly, I thought about what she said before I became her unwilling snack and got an idea. Looking at the fleshy walls, I used all my strength and speed and slammed into the wall.

Outside, Doreen was feeling queasy. She groaned and placed both her hands on her belly. Then her groans became cries of pain as I continued wailing in her stomach. Every slam meant crying in pain. She spoke again, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! STOP IT!" I ignored her demands and kept slamming. I then got another idea. I ran around and around and around until I was a human tornado, causing an uproar in her stomach. Doreen was feeling even worse like a volcano about to blow! She placed a hand towards her mouth feeling like she was ready to barf...and she did! So much that it pushed back onto the shore, freeing me in the process! I landed in the water and noticed something down below.

Meanwhile, Doreen was lying on the shore, some water splashing her, giving off a sickly moan. Just then out of nowhere, I appeared right next to her and tied her up in a bunch of seaweed. She was too weak to break free. I was on top of her and only one sentence escaped her lips, "How dare you treat a lady like this?" I simply shrugged and told her, "Sorry ma'am. Just doing my job."

Just then, I noticed the beach goers returning to their senses again. This time for good. I ran to Greta and Alexis while they were asking each other what happened. I got their attention and showed them the mermaid. They got a good look at her, before Alexis pulled out a notebook, flipping through page after page before stopping at one and said, "AHA! We've been looking for you!" Looking back at the mermaid.

I was surprised, though I probably shouldn't be. I asked Greta if she really was a wanted criminal. She nodded and explained that Doreen had been wanted for years, but they've been unable to locate her. I answered that mystery by saying that she is in fact a siren who had been manipulating everyone with her singing, yet I was immune. I then explained what she had told me and attempted to arrest her by weakening her. Everyone was mighty impressed by my act of heroism. We then heard beach goers saying they had lost jewelry and, lo and behold, everything the mermaid had belonged to several creatures. Well, almost everything. The tiara was definitely hers, but she won't be needing it where she's going. Out of nowhere, Patricia swiped me with her wings and shouted, "OUR HERO!" while everyone cheered.

Greta and Alexis had two officers from the force come and take Doreen away. As she was being taken to her long deserved imprisonment, I heard her say her last words to me, "We could have had something special, you and I." Oh well, woulda, coulda, shoulda.

We celebrated, creatures were cheering again, and Kahuna brought me to what he calls the "Beach throne". I swear, that guy and his names. We then had a good old fashioned beach party. Starting with tropical music playing. Patricia asked me for a dance and I accepted, even though we were different sizes. Meanwhile, Kahuna shared a dance with Greta, even though she couldn't keep up. Even Raine and Alexis were having a good time. We then feasted on barbecued meat on a stick. Again, the meat from really dangerous cons. Still, these guys know how to cook. We then finished with a nice viewing of the sunset before calling it a day. We said our good bye's and I said that I couldn't wait to do it again.


I rode on Greta as we made our way home. We we're both tired and full from the meat and got to doing our usual pre bedtime routine. Washing up, reading a story and then lights out. Before hitting the hay, I asked Greta what the prison was going to do with Doreen. She simply said that the prison has aquariums for the aquatic criminals. Wow! That prison has it all. I thanked her for a great time and was glad to hear that I had one. She gently gave me a peck on the cheek before lying down in bed while I layer down on her. Before she dozed off, Greta said, "I hope you're looking forward to it again." before succumbing to sleep. It then made me realize something....


We have another day off tomorrow!
© Copyright 2021 flash (flashfan2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2247454-Superhuman-cop-When-the-badges-come-off