*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2256270-The-Last-Date
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2256270
Flash Fiction
The Last Date

“Did you see that?” Dan said excitedly.

“No,” Janet answered, without even looking up.

“You didn’t even look!”

“Well, you sounded like it had already happened.”

“You never think things I find interesting are interesting.”

“Why would you say that?”

“Don’t give me that, it’s true. I get all excited about things and you think they’re boring, don’t you.”

“Well, honestly, sometimes you get excited over kind of small things.”

“OK, I’ll admit that, but this one was big. I wish you’d seen it.”

“I’m sorry. What was it?”

“Oh there! There it is again! Look!” he pointed to a group of trees over to their left.

Janet looked, there sitting under one of the trees was the most amazing bird she had ever seen! It was small, but had bright orange wings, a red stomach, a purple head and long yellow legs. It was pecking at the ground under the tree with a slender, long, pointed beak.

“Oh my gosh! You’re right! That is amazing! I’ve never seen anything like it before! What do you think it is?”

Smiling, at finally getting her attention, Dan said, “A helicopter!”

“Under the tree?” said Janet, looking at him like he had two heads.

“What under a tree?”

She looked back, the bird was gone. “I missed it again. Sorry,” and she turned back to her book, deciding this was her last date with Dan, he was making her so crazy, she was imagining things.
Dan looked at Susan. He decided then and there it was over between them. She was apparently off her rocker!

The captain of the spacecraft, having tried camouflage as both a helicopter, and then a bird decided, they weren’t worth their time. Nobody seemed to do anything around here but talk, glare at each other, and pout.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2256270-The-Last-Date