*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2259334-How-Thinking-Works
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2259334
Flash Fiction
How Thinking Works

“What were you thinking?”

“Well, I was thinking of maybe a blue background, you know so it looks more like night. We could use blue crepe paper and those little lights, like stars. Then low music, the kind they play in those old movies, for atmosphere.

Do you think Jeremy is going to ask me today? I’m getting a little worried. Frank promised me that Jeremy would ask me, but it’s getting late, the dance is in four weeks! I need to plan my outfit!

Did you see Kendalls’ is having a sale Friday! I thought we could walk over! I think Mom would pick us up. I need green socks, you know I like to wear green socks on the thirteenth, but my pair is getting ratty. Maybe I should stop doing that now that we’re in junior high,” Sandy leaned into the mirror checking her hair.

“I meant, what were you thinking telling Frank to ask me to the dance?”

“Well, he’s Jeremy’s best friend, if you were going with Frank I thought it would be even easier for Jeremy to decide to ask me.” Sandy looked over at Andrea, “Ooh! I like that shirt! Can I borrow it sometime?” Turning back to the mirror she continued, “I used to have a shirt something like that in fifth grade, I wore it so much it fell apart! It literally fell apart!”

“What fell apart?” asked Jane.

“Where did Andrea go?” asked Sandy.

“I don’t know. I just got here,” said Jane, slipping quickly into a stall to avoid more conversation.

Out in the hall, Andrea was rethinking her ‘friendship’ with Sandy when Frank came up. “Hi Andrea!” he said, smiling. He was so cute!

‘Oh well,’ she thought, smiling back, ‘another few months certainly can’t hurt.’
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2259334-How-Thinking-Works