*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2262716-At-Joshs-Shop
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2262716
Flash Fiction
At Josh’s Shop

“Oh I’m sorry, I’ve made a mistake. That wand is actually forty, not twenty,” the clerk said, looking up from the book on the counter.

“You said twenty.” the woman said.

“I said I thought twenty, and I’d look it up. It was the blue one that was twenty. This one is forty. I apologize.”

“You said twenty. I should get it for twenty.”

“I’m a clerk, I can’t make that kind of decision.”

“Then, I demand to see the manager.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes!”

Josh went behind the curtain and brought out an elderly woman.

“Can I help you dear?” she said.

“Your clerk told me this wand was twenty dollars, and now he tells me it’s forty. I shouldn’t need to pay more for his mistake.”

Josh actually cocked his head and squinted his eyes a bit at this explanation, but he said nothing.

“My dear, I understand your desire for this wand, it’s quite beautiful. However it is forty dollars and Josh can’t pay for it.”

“Why not?” the woman said, looking Josh up and down.

“Because he doesn’t actually have any money,” she said, waving a hand and seemingly turning Josh into a bird.”

The woman stood in shock, swooned a bit, and then walked unsteadily out of the store. Once out, she shook her head and walked away, incident apparently forgotten.

The bird turned back into Josh, who turned to the owner and said “Nicely done, you’re really getting the hang of this!”

The “owner” said, “The responses yes, these clothes never! Why you wrap yourselves up like this I’ll never know! And she turned back into his dog, Nelly.

“Ah, but we love our wardrobes so!” Josh said, “Would you like a bone now my friend?”

Nelly wagged her tail and said “Woof!”
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2262716-At-Joshs-Shop