*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263331-Thankful-giving
Rated: E · Prose · Holiday · #2263331
A little volunteer work history [DWG: Write With Might Contest, Dec. '21]
Thankful giving


There's a story I can tell about that special season many of us celebrate on the 4th Thursday of November: the holiday of Thanksgiving. A number of years ago, I volunteered with Food Bank of the Rockies to deliver holiday meals to families who may not have been able to afford all the "fixin's" for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. The families were nominated by friends, family, neighbors, church members, etc.; I'm sure you've heard of similar programs. I have no idea what kind of selection process, if any, was involved; I was just happy to be a delivery guy for a lot of tasty-looking food.

As I recall, I delivered around five meal boxes (all that would fit into my Mercury Topaz). Each contained a turkey, a small box of instant mashed potatoes, some cans of yams and cranberry jelly - apparently, not everyone likes cranberry sauce - and, of course, a pumpkin pie. There were a lot of thankful people involved in the whole process: the organizers, because they had volunteers to get the job done; the recipients, because they would be assured at least one good meal for the holiday; and the volunteers themselves, for getting to be part of the process (me, for sure anyway, but presumably the others, too).



[WC: 225]

Prompt Note

© Copyright 2021 Writer_Mike (mikewrites at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263331-Thankful-giving