*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2268920-The-Wedding
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2268920
Flash Fiction
The Wedding

Driving to the wedding. My only sister, Alison’s, wedding.

I love my sister. The guy she’s marrying is a jerk, but it’s none of my business, right? I’m just required to show up at the wedding and pretend I’m happy.

They’re getting hitched at some “romantic” place in the mountains. Probably costing Dad an arm and a leg, but then, she’s always been his favorite. If I ever get married, I’m sure he’ll offer to pay for a justice of the peace...

As I drove along in what, even I realized, was a jealous funk, I kept having to check the map. You’d think a mountain would just have one road twirling up, but no, there were turn offs everywhere! I’d already ended up at somebody’s house, twice. Fortunately the rental has GPS, unfortunately I didn’t know how to use it correctly, so all I got were maps.

It was getting warm and the rental had a sun roof so I decided to open it. Fresh air without it blowing at me. My hair, you know. Looking around for how to open it, while driving a winding road, was probably not my best decision.

The button I pushed did not open the sunroof. I don’t know what it was for, but it started making this screechy noise that scared the crap out of me! I reached over to shut it off, unfortunately moving the steering wheel just enough to catch the edge of the road, and send me flying over the cliff!

I’m fine! Well, I’m in a rental car, dangling from a tree, out of sight of anybody who could help me, and no phone. Did I mention that in my royal funk about Alison’s wedding, I managed to forget my phone?

Sibling rivalry really is a bitch.

© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2268920-The-Wedding