*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2268987-The-Move
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2268987
Flash Fiction
The Move

“I don’t want to be here.”

“What?” Mom said.

“I don’t want to be here when you tell Teddy,” Sandy said.

“Why not. He’ll be excited!”

“Yes, he’ll be excited you’re buying that house, he really likes it. Me too.”

“And...”

“It will finally dawn on him that we are actually moving.”

“Of course he knows we’re moving. We’ve been looking at houses for a year!”

“Yes, and he loves looking at houses. But he won’t want to move.”

“Did he say that to you?”

“No. But the last time we moved, I was eight, just like he is now. I remember it well.”

“You never said anything.”

“Of course not. I was a kid. I didn’t even realize how much I didn’t want to move until you actually told me we were moving.”

“But you loved this house...”

“Yes I did, still do, and I am excited about moving to the new one. But I’m older. I can get around by myself. Teddy’s eight. He can’t even go to a friend’s house without you driving him. He plays with Jared next door who’s six. He visits Mrs. Breck and eats her cookies. He knows every neighbor and he’s been in every house on this block. This is his world.”

“Did you feel that way then?”

“Yes.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Because you were so happy. And I honestly loved the new house! But moving was hard. I don’t want to be here when you tell him, I just needed you to know these things so you can help him get through it.

“Huh. Maybe somebody who knows how it works out later ought to tell him instead...”

“Me?”

“You’re the one who understands.”

“OK, I’ll tell him.”

“You’re an amazing sister.”

“Well, you’ll never convince Teddy of that!
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2268987-The-Move