*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2277193-The-concept-of-death
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2277193
Flash fiction
Here I was, standing on the pier. Looking out over the endless sea, yet seeing only three feet in front of me. The misty air seems to be closing in on me. Like a spotlight in a dark room. My whole world seems to consist of this little circle. Then, a faint green light. It’s getting closer and closer. The bow of the ship pierces the boundary of my circle. A skeleton figurehead covered in chains and weaponry nearly touches me before it halts.

A cold breeze on my back makes me shiver. It’s silent, the whole world seems to have gone mute. The cold grows stronger, suddenly a hand rests upon my shoulder. “Hello, my love.” I hear the words and feel his presence, but his breath doesn’t cares my neck and his warmth is nowhere to be found. “The clock has run out. It’s time to go home.” Before I can say anything a rough wind swirls around me and a second later I’m on the deck of the ship. He’s in front of me. His skin pale, eyes gray and hair white. There’s no denying it, this man is dead.

He looks at my necklace then at me. “Are you going to give it to me or should I take it?” As slowly as I can I remove the necklace and place it in the palm of his hand. The second I let go I feel the life flow out of me, my skin goes pale, my eyes gray and hair white. I am the princess of death itself, soon to be ruler of the afterlife, yet I would throw it all away for just a few more minutes alive. A few more minutes truly feeling something, even if it’s rain even if it’s pain.
© Copyright 2022 Amindthattravels (travelingmind at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2277193-The-concept-of-death