*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2281277-Intercultural-Conversations
Rated: E · Draft · Educational · #2281277
I am creating a book of short conversations about intercultural misunderstanding.
Intercultural Conversations: Understanding Misunderstanding
( This will be an e-book with about 30 short conversations and cultural explanations. Please let me know if the conversations are clear and make sense.)

General Topics
These conversations concern topics that happen in our lives.

1. Time Difference
A student in the United Arab Emirates in the Middle East, Huda, is talking on Skype with Yoko, a Japanese living in Japan.

Yoko: Hi, Huda, what are you doing?
Huda: I just ate dinner. What time is it in Japan?
Yoko: One in the morning
Huda: What? One in the morning! Why do I always talk to you when it is early in the morning in Japan?

Time Difference Answer
We often take time for granted. We assume everyone is on the same time. It is only when we fly overseas or talk to someone overseas that we realize time differences can cause troubles in communication. As online videos, such as LINE, WhatsApp, and Zoom, become more popular, people will have to plan to talk to friends or family overseas and they may then realize that they have to wake someone up at 5 am!

2. Weather
A Japanese girl and a UAE girl, Huda, are talking on Skype.

Yoko: How is the weather today?
Huda: It’s raining today.
Yoko: Oh, I am sorry to hear that it is raining.
Huda: Sorry? (Her face shows that she is confused.)

Weather Answer
Japan has a rainy season and some very rainy periods. On the other hand, UAE gets very little rain so when it rains, they are very happy.

3. Apologizing
A Japanese girl and a Mexican girl are talking.

Maria: Excuse me. Is this yours?
Yoko: Yes, it is mine. Sorry.
Maria: You don’t need to apologize.
Yoko: Huh?

Apologizing Answer
Japanese often say, “I am sorry” while other cultures do not do this so much. “I am sorry” can have many meanings including: “I am sorry”, “Excuse me”, and “Oops”. The Japanese use “sumimasen” for all of these. Thus, people may be confused as to why the Japanese person is apologizing when they should say “oops”.

4. Friends
A Japanese girl and a Chinese girl have just met in Osaka.

Yoko: Nice to meet you.
Wang: Nice to meet you, too. What’s your name? Where are you from? How old are you?
Yoko: (Confused) Oh, my name is Yoko. I’m a college student from Osaka. I am 21 years old.
(A few days later they happen to meet again.)
Yoko: Hello.
Wang: Hi, my friend Yoko.
Yoko: Friend?

Friends Answer
The idea of friendship varies in cultures. In some cultures, it takes a long time to become a friend. In other cultures, someone you recently met can be a friend.

5. Hugging
Mike, an American man, meets Yoko, a Japanese girl, and he gives her a hug as a greeting.

Yoko: Mike, I have noticed that you hug your friends a lot. Do all Americans do that?
Mike: No. Not everybody. But it is pretty common. Most of my family and friends like to give each other hugs.
Yoko: How do you know when you should give a hug or shake hands?

Hugging Answer
Giving hugs differs in cultures. Japanese tend to not touch a lot or hug. Compared to other countries, the U.S. is in the middle. Counties with more touch and hugging are in the Middle East and Hispanic countries, such as Mexico. Also, hugging can be different depending on the individual. A Japanese, who has lived overseas for a long time, might feel more comfortable hugging than a Japanese who has not been overseas

6. Social Class
Two Germans at a party in Japan are talking with a Japanese.

Yoko: Fred, this is Gretchen. She worked at several jobs in restaurants to earn her way to study in the U.S. She is a hard worker.
Fred: Nice to meet you Gretchen
Gretchen: Nice to meet you too. From your accent, I can tell you are from Berlin.
Fred: Yes. I am from the Schmidt family and am in the family business. They sent me here to study.
Gretchen: Oh, that is nice.
(Silence)

Social Class Answer
Social status is important in many countries. For some, social status or family background is extremely important in deciding whom you interact with. Of course, this is not directly asked. People find ways to determine the social position of other people

The World
These are conversations that might take place in different countries.

7. Cleanliness
An Italian person is talking with a Japanese who is visiting Italy.

Yoko: Your house is very clean!
Andrea: Yeah, Italian women keep their houses clean.
Yoko: Your house is clean, but the city is not so clean. There are cigarette butts in many places.
Andrea: Well, because the street is not my responsibility.

Cleanliness Answer
In Italy, people tend to keep their own houses or apartments clean, but they do not clean outside. They will depend on cleaners to clean public areas.

8. Children and Beliefs
A woman from Thailand is with her son walking down the street. A Japanese woman talks to them.

Yoko: Your son is so cute?
Mom: Thank you very much.
Yoko: How old is he?
Mom: He is four years old.
Yoko: You are a very nice boy. (Yoko pats the boy on his head).
Mom: Don’t pat my son on the head!

Children and Beliefs Answer
In some countries, including Thailand, the head is the holy part of the body. Thus, people should not touch people’s heads, especially children’s heads.
© Copyright 2022 Scottjapan (scottjapan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2281277-Intercultural-Conversations