*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284542-Split
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Teen · #2284542
We follow Kevin in this short story as he encounters two problems that split him.
Another school year, I thought I started to walk up to the school and saw Joella. “Hi Joella,” I said.“Oh...uh hi Kevin” she said quietly. I wondered why she said that so quietly, then I looked behind me. Her parents were in the car as they just dropped her off. Even though we've been together for a year her parents still don’t like me. I never knew why. We walked in and went to our classes and said our goodbyes. I started seeing more people as I walked to my homeroom and some people came up to me and nervously said “Hi how was your summer”. I said it was good as I got used to saying throughout the day, it was a long day.

At lunch I heard some kids talking about me. Sometimes I wish I wasn't popular. I sat down with Bob and Joella and told them “Honestly guys I hate being popular,the idea was cool at first but now people just keep talking and talking to you like Jeff Bezos attending a meeting. Joella then said “If your parents didn't become Towards the end of the day I saw Bob,Bob happens to be my best friend and he’s in my last class of the day.
Before I left the school I met up with Joella and told her “Hey I don’t think I can go a whole year like this I..I need some time to think, I’m gonna take a couple of days off of school”. She said “Ok I’ll see you next week,bye”. Then I told Bob and said the same thing. My parents let me because they understand my stress

I went home to think about how I could lose my popularity. I thought of things like dying my hair,deeping my voice at school, things like that. But then I thought people would still recognize me. So all I did was decide to skip school for two extra days to think. I got a call from my friend Bob and he told me “Hey shoe we haven't talked in a couple days how's it been away from school. I then said “It’s been ok, how about you”. He said “Great I got a girlfriend! We're going out to a really nice restaurant tonight at seven”, ''Oh…really, have fun”. We then said bye to each other and I put my phone down.


I called Joella to see how she was doing. I haven't talked to her in 3 days, I missed her. So I called and she didn’t pick up. I then nervously monologue “It’s okay she'll ju..just call me back later,hopefully call me back later, no need to be nervous. A good two and a half hours go by and she still hasn't called back so I called her again. She picked up. She spoke quietly “What do you need”. “I said we haven't talked in a couple days so I thought I’d check in and-” she cut me off, “Listen Kevin now's not a good time I’ll call in twenty minutes”. I said “Oh ok bye Joella Lo-” She then hung up before I finished my sentence. I got nervous,I then started to monologue again “Maybe she is actually busy, ugh why didn’t she say bye though”,the more I thought about the more nervous I got.

She then called me back “Finally” I thought my anxiety soon got to its peak. I answered she then immediately started stammering “Kevin,li...lis-”. I said “Joella I could tell you're nervous what’s on your mind”, She continued “Listen you're really nice and gave me your world but I feel we take a break, probably see other people”. I then thought I usually know how this goes. She is already seeing another person and just wants an excuse to break up with me. Every little lie gave me butterflies. I asked her “Ok who is it” she said “what?” as if she was surprised. I repeated myself and she told me in a sad tone. “Its Bob” she said, I said “My best friend?'' Her voice graveled up “yeah”. I couldn’t even process it so I dramatically said “Goodbye”. Then hung up.

Ok I know it looks bad but it gets better from here. I can’t really blame Bob, he didn’t know we were dating. He just thought we were close friends. So I told Bob everything, then out of the blue broke up with her. I was surprised he did it so fast. The next day I decided to return to school, it turned out that no longer dating a popular girl can turn down my popularity. It turns out in the end all I needed was my closest friend.

© Copyright 2022 Cvwriter (cvwriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284542-Split