*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285674-Mom-Saves-the-Day
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2285674
Flash Fiction
Mom saves the Day

“That’s the wrong moon,” said four-year-old Susan looking out the front window.

Her twin, Ted, went over and looked out the window. “It looks like the moon...”

“In this picture the moon is round, that moon looks like the toenail clippings that Dad leaves when he cuts his toe nails.”

“Not all the time.”

“Yes, he always does, I heard Mom yelling at him about it.”

“No, I mean the moon. It doesn’t always look round.”

“Well, yeah, but in the Christmas cards it is, so that must be some other moon. Do you think the right one will come at Christmas?”

“I think there’s only one moon... I think I heard that at school.”

“Oh, well, maybe it gets bigger quick?”

“Yeah! Like a balloon!”

“Yes! Maybe that’s it! Now we just need the snow.”

“Mom got a bag of fake snow.”

“Why can’t we have real snow?”

“Because we moved to Florida. Mom says it doesn’t snow in Florida.”

“Of course it snows, it’s winter! How can it be winter if it doesn’t snow?

“I don’t think that counts in Florida. It’s too hot.”

“Well, how are we going to have Christmas? The moon is wrong and there’s no snow and we have a fake tree and how can it be Christmas?”

“I don’t know! I don’t know,” said Ted, now equally upset. They both started crying.

Mom cane running at the sound. “What’s wrong? What happened?”

“We can’t have Christmas!”

“Why not?” Mom said, as soon as she figured out what they were saying.

“Because we left Christmas in Vermont!”

“Mom got enough of the gist...

“I asked Santa to send your Christmas here, for you!” she said. They stopped crying.

And once again, Mom saved the day. Only this time, it was Christmas Day.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285674-Mom-Saves-the-Day