*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2288536-The-Earring
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2288536
Flash Fiction
The Earring

My new boyfriend was cute, unfortunately, getting on my nerves. The only reason I went out with him was because as he walked by our office, Sandra commented that he was adorable. That competition thing… I know, but I still fall for it.

Unfortunately cute was his only quality. Also unfortunately, Sandra was totally miffed that I was dating him, so I had to have a good reason to drop him if I wanted Sandra to stay miffed. I know! I’m sure I’ll outgrow it…

Today he showed up at lunch with a present. You should have seen Sandra’s face. Fortunately she didn’t see my face when I spotted him coming in. I had plans to go to Rocky’s with a group that included Brad… now there’s a real catch. Anyway, couldn’t really send the new guy away while Sandra was drooling.

The present was an earring. Yes, one. And worse, he made it himself! It was rather pretty, but I would think he would have noticed both of my ears were pierced. He insisted I try it on, and Sandra jumped on the bandwagon, ooh-ing and ahh-ing over his creation. So, I had no choice.

I got it on easily, but this guy was obviously no jewelry maker. It was as heavy as a brick and the wire he used resembled a rope, twisted like, which I could actually feel in my ear lobe. I couldn’t wait to get it off, but Sandra was gushing so much, I had to enjoy that.

By the time we left for lunch, leaving Sandra drooling, it was starting to hurt. I ended up in the emergency ward, ear lobe infection! Well, I finally had my reason to break up with him…

Sandra started dating him the very next week. Good luck Sandra!
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2288536-The-Earring