*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290743-Mystery-Solved
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2290743
Flash Fiction
Mystery Solved

“So, this is where she goes?”

“Yes,” Frank said, “keep your voice down…”

“Oops, sorry,” Ted whispered, “I forgot she was home.”

“She’s always home,” Frank said, sarcastically.

“I know, I meant that she was home, and not out in the fields. Look at all this stuff. How long have you known?”

“I found it about six months ago. I didn’t tell anyone because I didn’t want to get her in trouble, but I’m pretty sure if you can’t find your baseball, it’s probably here.”

“Where did she get all this stuff?”

“Our house, the neighbors, the barns… look! There’s your ball.”

“Oh good!”

Suddenly a small noise.

Frank looked at Ted, “We have to get out of here.”

“She’ll see us!”

“No, but she’ll smell us. If we get out now, she won’t remember your ball and she’ll just think it’s a smell from something else of ours.”

“She has more of my stuff!?”

“Tons, but nothing important, I keep watch.”

“Thanks, but tell me later so I can stop looking for them!”

“Let’s go! Shhhhhh!” Off they crept, quietly closing the door just before Sandy came in.

She immediately sniffed, taking in all the smells, then thinking, “Huh, extra smelly today… I love it!” and settled down with all her loot. Adding a hat, this evening, that used to belong to one of the farm hands, Ricky, till he left it on a table by the barn.

Life is exciting for a good farm dog, but sometimes they need another hobby.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290743-Mystery-Solved