*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290835-Corporate-Shrink
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Entertainment · #2290835
A new inspection process calls for a man to shrink
“Come outside with me while I smoke, I want to pitch something to you,” Melanie said, after a long boring talk about food cost. Mike followed Melanie outside, he didn’t smoke, but outside the confines of the store is usually where she preferred to share information that was a little more sensitive, and that process lined up nicely with her two pack a day habit.

Mike had known Melanie for around 10 years, when he took a job with Taco King, she was a general manager in one town, he was an assistant manager in another. He promoted to general manager a year later, and her to district manager a few years later. So he had an already established relationship with her, which in some ways he felt made her a better boss, but also softened her ability to be tough with him.

He watched as she slid a cigarette between her lips, her hands trying to block the wind that slightly blew her hair across her face. The dark brown hair was now tinged with gray, and she was probably 50 pounds heavier than she was when they met, but she was still the same ol’ Mel. Smart, funny, pretty, and kind. He understood why she was promoted, even if he didn’t necessarily think she was the best person for the job.

“So a temporary position has opened up,” she said, smoke flowing from her mouth, “and I recommended you. I told corporate I’d talk to you about it today. It’s definitely a chance for growth…”

She said the word growth funny, and tilted her head to the side.

“Although the role itself is the opposite of growth.”

“What do you mean?” Mike asked.

“Well, you know how I audit the stores over a few days each period? There is some stuff I check out that’s rather small. So the role, and stay with me on this, would basically be you shrinking to one inch tall and accompanying me, inspecting equipment that’s hard for me get to. It’d be three days a period, and there’s a 50% bump in salary those days.”

“Hazard pay. Sounds a little unsafe. And how on earth did we get our hands on shrinking technology? I know it’s still relatively new…”

“So we signed up to be part of a government program. You’d actually be the first person in food service to try it out, apparently,” Melanie said, taking another drag off of her cigarette.

Mike thought about it for a minute. It actually sounded kind of fun, albeit dangerous. But he trusted Melanie.

“Okay, I’ll do it,” he said.

“Great!” Melanie replied. “I’ll contact home office and let them know. I’ll get your schedule covered tomorrow. If you’re cool they want us to the the shrinking process tonight so we’re prepared to be at the first store at 8am.”

“Oh wow, this is quick. Okay, yeah, I can do that.”

“I’ll just meet you here around 9 tonight if that’s cool,” Melanie said, taking a final drag off of her cigarette.

“Sounds good, see you then,” Mike replied.

***

Mike pulled into the store, and Melanie was already outside smoking a cigarette as she talked on the phone. She smiled and waved at Mike, a stream of smoke flowing from her lips. Mike waved back and walked into the store. He walked behind the counter and grabbed a drink.

“You’re here late,” Ryan said. “Something up?”

“Gotta help Mel with some stuff,” Mike replied, taking a sip of Pepsi Zero.

“Oh y’all gonna be here long?”

“I don’t think we’re staying here,” Mike said, walking back into the lobby. Melanie walked through the door as she got off of the phone.

“Megan just has to dial in on this labor,” she said. “Her scheduling forecasting is way off. Alright, you ready to do this?” She asked.

“Here? In front of everyone?”

They both looked around the empty lobby. Employees in the kitchen were busy handling the drive thru.

“I don’t think anyone will notice,” Melanie laughed. She pulled out a small device with a red button and a red finger ring.

“Put this ring on. Once you’re small don’t lose it or I can’t turn you back,” she said. “Then you’ll pretty much have to spend your life in my pocket.”

“Deep down you’d like that,” Mike joked, slipping the ring on. He was a little taken back when his comment didn’t draw a laugh from Melanie, but rather made her blush and smile.

“Sit on the table so I don’t accidentally step on you,”. She said. Mike sat on the table, and no sooner than he did he watched Melanie press the button and he was covered by a flash of red light blinding him momentarily. When he regained his vision everything around him was massive, and he was almost face to face with Melanie’s huge belly, covered by her purple polo shirt. He stepped back and could see her face, and she looked shocked.

“Holy shit,” she said. “I need a cigarette.”

Pt 2

Melanie extended her hand slowly and deliberately towards Mike. He saw a smile on her face as her fingers slowly curled around him, wrapping him up in her fist. He could tell she was walking, and a few seconds later he heard the unmistakable sound of her cigarette lighter.

Melanie opened her hand in front of her face, and Mike stood up on her palm.

“Okay, I knew you’d be small, but you’re like, small,” she said, taking a drag off of her cigarette. She attempted to blow her smoke away from Mike, but the light breeze pushed the white fog back over him, making him cough.

“Sorry!” Melanie said, making a face that exclaimed “eek.”

“It’s okay, I don’t mind,” Mike replied.

“You sure?” Melanie asked. “I smoke a lot… which you know… and I should probably quit. But I’d hate to have to shove you in my pocket every time I smoke. I’d rather chat with you.”

“Smoke away,” Mike said smiling.

Melanie smiled back and took another drag. This time she deliberately blew her smoke over Mike’s tiny body and giggled.

“So you exited about work tomorrow?” She asked, her warm breath touching his body. It felt nice in the cool fall air.

“I guess so, I’m still not 100% sure what I’m doing.”

“I don’t know that I understand completely either,” Melanie said. “But they want this to be a success, so I guess we’ll just figure it out as we go.”

Melanie took another drag off of her cigarette, and brought Mike closer to her lips, slowly blowing smoke on him.

“Figured that’d be nice and warm, it’s chilly out,” she said, Mike within reaching distance of her mouth. His curiosity got the best of him, and he touched her lip. He could tell she shuddered.

“What?” He asked.

“I just wasn’t ready for that, she said, her warm breath comforting him.
© Copyright 2023 TinyMike (shrunkenmike at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290835-Corporate-Shrink