*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2295064-Generations
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2295064
Flash Fiction
Generations

I want this to be over. All this drama. I have no idea what my grown children are going to do next and I still worry about them as if they were toddlers. Yet on the other hand, I know they are both smarter than me and more aligned with the current world than I am.

Leaning back on my pillow, sipping my cup of tea before it gets too cold to bother with. My children both hate tea. They both practically live on coffee. My generation did too, but tea was the relaxer, the mull things over beverage. All they ever want is go, go, go! I keep trying to tell them, it’s a life, there’s more to it than zipping around after the next big thing, the next piece of fun.

In my day you wanted to do something useful, something that added to the world, your country, your town. They seem to just want to have fun. If all the young people are like that, where is civilization headed?

Out my window I see a star, of course I must make a wish. We, my generation that is, we took stars seriously. Suddenly I heard my thoughts. I actually laughed out loud! We took stars seriously! How silly! Even we knew they were suns so far away we would never touch them. And yet, we made our wish. We were as foolish as I am thinking my grown children are now. Perhaps our parents thought we were throwing away our lives, yet we did pretty good in the end. I’ve had a lovely life and the planet is still moving forward.

Perhaps I should stop worrying and just enjoy them, and however long I have left here too. I think maybe now, I will try.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2295064-Generations