*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298028-Hidden
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2298028
A mystery in a story.
The low burning flames casted shadows on the cracked stone walls that surrounded the small city. The smell of the bakery that he just passed put the time as early morning and the city was just beginning to awaken to start their day. The sun would be rising soon and along with-it trouble.

A flash of silver and red to his left marked those that were to be avoided. To survive one must not draw attention to themselves. One must be silent and never heard. This is the way it is and the way it has been since they were formed. Always quiet, always invisible, always deadly if it came down to it.

The young man with the striking silver eyes stops for a moment to tilt his head to listen. He heard everything from the sound the of the rats stirring in the alleys looking for food to the sounds of metal against metal from the practice fields.

The smell of manure catches his attention. The stable that houses the horses was still about ten blocks away. The young man reaches for the security of the slick wooden handle of the sharp blade that was nestled at his side. He walked over to the closet stand that was opened that was selling all sorts of random items from different shades of ribbon, perfumes, potions, and very sharp and dangerous looking daggers. The smells of the perfumes was overpowering making the young man want to cough but he didn’t move he just stood there watching. Waiting.
© Copyright 2023 Katie R Davis (poet2023 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298028-Hidden