*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298400-Wealth-Inequality-Effects-on-Health
by Mason
Rated: E · Assignment · Scientific · #2298400
The paper explains how wealth inequality is bad for people's health.





Introduction
         Wealth inequality harms people's health. For example, according to a 2015 study published in Nature, air pollution is associated with 3.3 million deaths worldwide yearly.1 Another 2017 study published in Lancet found that air pollution caused approximately 4.4 million deaths worldwide in 2015.2 Another 2018 study found that 8.9 million people died of air pollution in 2015.3 A 2009 study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that if the United States reduces air pollution, life expectancy will increase by 15%;4 reductions of air pollution however does not address the issue of wealth inequality. A 2019 study published in JAMA found that individuals in lower socioeconomic classes have higher mortality rates from air pollution.5 This is likely due to higher exposure to air pollution.6 This paper argues that universal health care would address the issue.


The health effects of air pollution and its link with COVID-19

         Air pollution is linked with numerous adverse health effects. Sanidas et al.7 found in their 2017 meta-analysis published in the Journal of the American Society of Hypertension that exposure to air pollutants is associated with arterial hypertension. Additionally, a 2014 cohort study published in Environmental Health Perspectives found that long-term exposure to air pollution increases blood pressure,8 thus confirming the conclusion of Sanidas et al.7 Eze et al.9 found an association between long-term exposure to air pollution and type-2 diabetes in their 2014 cross-sectional study published in Environmental International. A 2022 study published in Environmental Research replicated Eze et al.9 findings.10 Rasschou-Nielsen et al.11 found an association between long-term exposure to air pollution and type-2 diabetes in their 2013 study published in Lancet Oncology. A 2014 and 2015 meta-analysis replicated Raaaschou-Nielsen et al. findings.12,13 Hoffmann et al.14 published in Circulation found an association between exposure to air pollution and coronary atherosclerosis in their 2007 study. A 2014 study published in European Heart Journal replicated Hoffmann et al.14 findings.15 Leary et al.16 found that high air pollution exposure is associated with right ventricular hypertrophy in their 2014 study published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. Ho et al.17 found an association between exposure to air pollution and adverse cardiovascular events in their 2022 meta-analysis. A 2021 study published in Environmental Pollution found an association between exposure to air pollution and adverse cardiovascular events.18 A 2022 study replicated the finding of the 2021 study.19 Darrow et al.20 found an association between exposure to air pollution in late pregnancy with reductions in birth weight in full-term infants in their 2011 study. Nishimura et al.21 found an association between exposure to air pollution and childhood asthma in their 2013 study. A 2021 meta-analysis found an association between exposure to air pollution and childhood hypertension.22 A 2020 meta-analysis reached the same conclusion as the studies cited in this paragraph.23 This paper stated in the introduction that individuals in lower socioeconomic classes suffer from higher exposure to air pollution, and individuals in lower socioeconomic classes suffer more negative effects. These principles apply to the illness discussed in this paragraph.

         According to the CDC, approximately 1.1 million people died due to COVID-19.24 Many diseases related to air pollution exposure could worsen COVID-19. Raj et al.25 found a robust association between COVID-19 mortality and hypertension in their 2022 study published in Medical Sciences. Williamson et al.26 found an association between hypertension, diabetes, severe asthma, chronic heart disease, and stroke with COVID-19 mortality in their 2020 study published in Nature. Grasseli et al.27 confirmed the association between diabetes and COVID-19 mortality in their 2020 study published in JAMA. A 2021 meta-analysis also confirmed the association between diabetes and COVID-19.28 In summary, diseases associated with air pollution are linked with COVID-19 mortality. The diseases are seen more in individuals living in socioeconomic class, as they have higher exposure to air pollution.


Insurance's health effects

         Galvani et al.29 estimated in their 2022 study that approximately 41 million people needed access to insurance in the United States in 2019. A 2017 meta-analysis published in the Annals of Internal Medicine found that individuals without insurance have a higher mortality rate than individuals with insurance.30 Egan et al.31 found that individuals with insurance have higher control over their cholesterol level than people without insurance in their 2017 study published in the Journal of the American Heart Association. Ayanian et al.32 found that individuals without insurance are more likely to be unaware of their hypertension or high cholesterol than individuals with insurance in their 2003 study. Another 2010 study published in the American Journal of Medicine also found that uninsured individuals have less control and treatment of hypertension and high cholesterol than insured individuals.33 Research clearly shows that insurance helps reduce mortality in chronic diseases associated with air pollution and COVID-19 mortality. Research shows that insurance helps reduce chronic diseases associated with air pollution and COVID-19 mortality.

         According to a 2020 Gallup poll, 14% of individuals with possible COVID-19 avoid seeking medical care due to cost.34 A 2020 study found that individuals living in lower socioeconomic classes are more likely to delay getting a diagnosis.35 The delay in diagnosis proves deadly, as many treatments for COVID-19 are effective during the early stages.36 The 2020 study previously cited also found the delay in diagnosis a risk factor for COVID-19 mortality.35 The same study also found that people in lower socioeconomic classes suffer from higher rates of COVID-19 mortality. A 2022 study published in the Lancet Regional Health found that the lack of health insurance is the main reason for the disparity in the mortality rate of COVID-19; the same study also found that lack of insurance contributed to 60,000 deaths from COVID-19.37


         Universal health care would address the problem by providing insurance to individuals who cannot afford it which improves access to care. Again, individuals without insurance have a higher mortality rate from chronic illness. In addition to the studies this paper previously cited, a 2016 study published in the American Journal of Public Health found that individuals on Medicaid had higher awareness and control of chronic illnesses.38 Universal health care will save lives in the United States. A 2022 study found that universal health care would have saved 212,000 lives in 2020 alone.29 Another 2020 study published in Lancet found that universal health care would have saved over 68,000 lives in 2017.39 Another 2013 randomized controlled trial published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that medicare help increases the detection and control of type 2 diabetes.40 Evidence shows that universal health care saves lives.




Conclusion
         
          In summary, the evidence shows that wealth inequality has an enormous negative impact on individual health, and universal health care would help address it. One limitation is that the studies this paper cited are not experiments, meaning they can only provide an association, and association does not equal causation. However, the amount of evidence allows this paper to reasonably infer that universal health care would work and that wealth inequality harms health. Another limitation is the Tenth Amendment. A national universal health care policy would not be possible due to the Tenth Amendment. The United States Supreme Court struck down former president Barack Obama's attempt at universal health care in 2012 under the Tenth Amendment.41 Therefore, the effects of universal health care might be limited as some states might not adopt it.




References
1. Lelieveld J, Evans JS, Fnais M, Giannadaki D, Pozzer A. The contribution of outdoor air pollution sources to premature mortality on a global scale. Nature. 2015;525(7569):367-371. doi:10.1038/nature15371

2. Cohen AJ, Brauer M, Burnett R, et al. Estimates and 25-year trends of the global burden of disease attributable to ambient air pollution: an analysis of data from the Global Burden of Diseases Study 2015 [published correction appears in Lancet. 2017 Jun 17;389(10087):e15] [published correction appears in Lancet. 2018 Apr 21;391(10130):1576]. Lancet. 2017;389(10082):1907-1918. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(17)30505-6

3. Burnett R, Chen H, Szyszkowicz M, et al. Global estimates of mortality associated with long-term exposure to outdoor fine particulate matter. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018;115(38):9592-9597. doi:10.1073/pnas.1803222115

4. Pope CA 3rd, Ezzati M, Dockery DW. Fine-particulate air pollution and life expectancy in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2009;360(4):376-386. doi:10.1056/NEJMsa0805646

5. Bowe B, Xie Y, Yan Y, Al-Aly Z. Burden of Cause-Specific Mortality Associated With PM2.5 Air Pollution in the United States. JAMA Netw Open. 2019;2(11):e1915834. Published 2019 Nov 1. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.15834

6. Bell ML, Ebisu K. Environmental inequality in exposures to airborne particulate matter components in the United States. Environ Health Perspect. 2012;120(12):1699-1704. doi:10.1289/ehp.1205201

7. Sanidas E, Papadopoulos DP, Grassos H, et al. Air pollution and arterial hypertension. A new risk factor is in the air. J Am Soc Hypertens. 2017;11(11):709-715. doi:10.1016/j.jash.2017.09.008

8. Foraster M, Basaga X, Aguilera I, et al. Association of long-term exposure to traffic-related air pollution with blood pressure and hypertension in an adult population-based cohort in Spain (the REGICOR study). Environ Health Perspect. 2014;122(4):404-411. doi:10.1289/ehp.1306497

9. Eze IC, Schaffner E, Fischer E, et al. Long-term air pollution exposure and diabetes in a population-based Swiss cohort. Environ Int. 2014;70:95-105. doi:10.1016/j.envint.2014.05.014

10. Chen M, Qin Q, Liu F, et al. How long-term air pollution and its metal constituents affect type 2 diabetes mellitus prevalence? Results from Wuhan Chronic Disease Cohort. Environ Res. 2022;212(Pt A):113158. doi:10.1016/j.envres.2022.113158

11. Raaschou-Nielsen O, Andersen ZJ, Beelen R, et al. Air pollution and lung cancer incidence in 17 European cohorts: prospective analyses from the European Study of Cohorts for Air Pollution Effects (ESCAPE). Lancet Oncol. 2013;14(9):813-822. doi:10.1016/S1470-2045(13)70279-1

12. Hamra GB, Guha N, Cohen A, et al. Outdoor particulate matter exposure and lung cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis [published correction appears in Environ Health Perspect. 2014 Sep;122(9):A236]. Environ Health Perspect. 2014;122(9):906-911. doi:10.1289/ehp/1408092

13. Hamra GB, Laden F, Cohen AJ, Raaschou-Nielsen O, Brauer M, Loomis D. Lung Cancer and Exposure to Nitrogen Dioxide and Traffic: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Environ Health Perspect. 2015;123(11):1107-1112. doi:10.1289/ehp.1408882

14. Hoffmann B, Moebus S, Mlenkamp S, et al. Residential exposure to traffic is associated with coronary atherosclerosis. Circulation. 2007;116(5):489-496. doi:10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.693622

15. Ksch H, Hennig F, Moebus S, et al. Are air pollution and traffic noise independently associated with atherosclerosis: the Heinz Nixdorf Recall Study. Eur Heart J. 2014;35(13):853-860. doi:10.1093/eurheartj/eht426

16. Leary PJ, Kaufman JD, Barr RG, et al. Traffic-related air pollution and the right ventricle. The multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014;189(9):1093-1100. doi:10.1164/rccm.201312-2298OC

17. Ho JSY, Jou E, Tan BYQ, Sharma VK. Air Pollution and Ischaemic Stroke. Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2022;25(Suppl 1):S26-S34. doi:10.4103/aian.aian_1130_21          

18. Zhang S, Breitner S, Cascio WE, et al. Association between short-term exposure to ambient fine particulate matter and myocardial injury in the CATHGEN cohort. Environ Pollut. 2021;275:116663. doi:10.1016/j.envpol.2021.116663

19. Wyatt L, Kamat G, Moyer J, et al. Associations between short-term exposure to PM2.5 and cardiomyocyte injury in myocardial infarction survivors in North Carolina. Open Heart. 2022;9(1):e001891. doi:10.1136/openhrt-2021-001891

20. Darrow LA, Klein M, Strickland MJ, Mulholland JA, Tolbert PE. Ambient air pollution and birth weight in full-term infants in Atlanta, 1994-2004. Environ Health Perspect. 2011;119(5):731-737. doi:10.1289/ehp.1002785

21. Nishimura KK, Galanter JM, Roth LA, et al. Early-life air pollution and asthma risk in minority children. The GALA II and SAGE II studies. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013;188(3):309-318. doi:10.1164/rccm.201302-0264OC

22. Qin P, Luo X, Zeng Y, et al. Long-term association of ambient air pollution and hypertension in adults and in children: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Sci Total Environ. 2021;796:148620. doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.148620

23. Manisalidis I, Stavropoulou E, Stavropoulos A, Bezirtzoglou E. Environmental and Health Impacts of Air Pollution: A Review. Front Public Health. 2020;8:14. Published 2020 Feb 20. doi:10.3389/fpubh.2020.00014

24. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention. COVID Data Tracker. Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Published January 20th, 2023. Accessed January 20th, 2023. https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#datatracker-home.

25. Raj K, Yeruva K, Jyotheeswara Pillai K, et al. Population Risk Factors for Severe Disease and Mortality in COVID-19 in the United States during the Pre-Vaccine Era: A Retrospective Cohort Study of National Inpatient Sample. Med Sci (Basel). 2022;10(4):67. Published 2022 Dec 4. doi:10.3390/medsci10040067

26. Williamson EJ, Walker AJ, Bhaskaran K, et al. Factors associated with COVID-19-related death using OpenSAFELY. Nature. 2020;584(7821):430-436. doi:10.1038/s41586-020-2521-4

27. Grasselli G, Greco M, Zanella A, et al. Risk Factors Associated With Mortality Among Patients With COVID-19 in Intensive Care Units in Lombardy, Italy [published correction appears in JAMA Intern Med. 2021 Jul 1;181(7):1021]. JAMA Intern Med. 2020;180(10):1345-1355. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2020.3539

28. Corona G, Pizzocaro A, Vena W, et al. diabetes is most important cause for mortality in COVID-19 hospitalized patients: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2021;22(2):275-296. doi:10.1007/s11154-021-09630-8

29. Galvani AP, Parpia AS, Pandey A, et al. Universal healthcare as pandemic preparedness: The lives and costs that could have been saved during the COVID-19 pandemic. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2022;119(25):e2200536119. doi:10.1073/pnas.2200536119
30. Woolhandler S, Himmelstein DU. The Relationship of Health Insurance and Mortality: Is Lack of Insurance Deadly?. Ann Intern Med. 2017;167(6):424-431. doi:10.7326/M17-1403

31. Egan BM, Li J, Sarasua SM, et al. Cholesterol Control Among Uninsured Adults Did Not Improve From 2001-2004 to 2009-2012 as Disparities With Both Publicly and Privately Insured Adults Doubled. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017;6(11):e006105. Published 2017 Nov 2. doi:10.1161/JAHA.117.006105

32. Ayanian JZ, Zaslavsky AM, Weissman JS, Schneider EC, Ginsburg JA. Undiagnosed hypertension and hypercholesterolemia among uninsured and insured adults in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am J Public Health. 2003;93(12):2051-2054. doi:10.2105/ajph.93.12.2051


33. Brooks EL, Preis SR, Hwang SJ, et al. Health insurance and cardiovascular disease risk factors. Am J Med. 2010;123(8):741-747. doi:10.1016/j.amjmed.2010.02.013

34. Witters D. In U.S., 14% With Likely COVID-19 to Avoid Care Due to Cost. Gallup. April 28th, 2020. Accessed January 20th, 2023. https://news.gallup.com/poll/309224/avoid-care-likely-covid-due-cost.aspx.

35. Cobre AF, Ber B, Fachi MM, et al. Risk factors associated with delay in diagnosis and mortality in patients with COVID-19 in the city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Cien Saude Colet. 2020;25(suppl 2):4131-4140. doi:10.1590/1413-812320202510.2.26882020

36. Gupta A, Gonzalez-Rojas Y, Juarez E, et al. Early Treatment for Covid-19 with SARS-CoV-2 Neutralizing Antibody Sotrovimab. N Engl J Med. 2021;385(21):1941-1950. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa2107934

37. Campbell T, Galvani AP, Friedman G, Fitzpatrick MC. Exacerbation of COVID-19 mortality by the fragmented United States healthcare system: A retrospective observational study. Lancet Reg Health Am. 2022;12:100264. doi:10.1016/j.lana.2022.100264

38. Christopher AS, McCormick D, Woolhandler S, Himmelstein DU, Bor DH, Wilper AP. Access to Care and Chronic Disease Outcomes Among Medicaid-Insured Persons Versus the Uninsured. Am J Public Health. 2016;106(1):63-69. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2015.302925

39. Galvani AP, Parpia AS, Foster EM, Singer BH, Fitzpatrick MC. Improving the prognosis of health care in the USA. Lancet. 2020;395(10223):524-533. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(19)33019

40. Baicker K, Taubman SL, Allen HL, et al. The Oregon experiment--effects of Medicaid on clinical outcomes. N Engl J Med. 2013;368(18):1713-1722. doi:10.1056/NEJMsa1212321

41. National Federation of Independent Business v. Sibelius, 567 U.S. 519, 588 (2012).





© Copyright 2023 Mason (teenwriter225 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298400-Wealth-Inequality-Effects-on-Health