*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298401-An-Introduction-To-Academic-Writing
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Mason
Rated: E · Essay · Educational · #2298401
Introduction to academic writing, its importance, and how to improve it.
          Tsz Hin "Mason" Wong
          Mr. Gorun                    
          AP Seminar
          12 May 2023
         
Academic Writing's Importantce and Tips for Improvement

         Academic writing is ". . . any formal written work produced in academic setting" (Valdes). Academic writing is common use in college and other academic institutions in order to communicate their ideas to other scholars (Valdes). Academic writing is extremely important as it is the main method of scholarly communication (Valdes). Some common characteristics of academic writing are logical organization, clear focus, logical and evidence-based arugments, and formal and local tone (Valdes). Many students are understandably confused about academic writing and how to improve their academic writing (Irvin). This paper seeks to explain how academic writing works and how to improve in it.

         As stated above, academic writing is ". . . any formal written work produced in an academic writing (Valdes). However, there are multiple parts to academic writing. Academic writing is also mainly analysis and creating an evidence-based and logical argument (Irvin; Valdes). However, there is a standard to academic writing, adjusted through the field you are writing for (Valdes, Irvin). The standard is a focus on logic, "Clear evidence . . . that the writer(s) have been persistent, open-minded, and disciplined in study", and that there is a reader who is logical, "reading for information and formulate a reasoned response" (Irvin 14). In summary, academic writing is a method of scholarly communication. This is important because without this skill scholarly communication would not exist.

         There are numerous ways to improve your academic writing. One method is write outlines to plan your writing (Conwell). Outlines help you organize your thoughts and evidence, allowing you to write clearly and effectively (Conwell). Another method is practicing academic writing and reading (Conwell). Practing academic writing and reading helps you improve your ability in it, remember practice makes perfect, the more you practice, the more competent you will be (Conwell). It is also essential to remember the following tips to ensure good academic writing.

         One essential parts to academic writing is the usage of formal language (Valdes). The purpose of academic writing is scholarly communication (Valdes), therefore it is essential to use formal language, as without formal writing scholarly communication would not be possible. Another essential aspect of academic writing is citations. Citations is an important aspect to academic writing because citations establish credibility and avoid plagiarism (Valdes). This is all the main parts and skill you need to remember to do well in academic writing.




         
Works Cited

          Conwell, Sharon. "How to Improve Skills in Academic Writing: 6 Practical Tips." CollegeRaptor, 22 December, 2022. https://www.collegeraptor.com/find-colleges/articles/tips-tools-advice/how-to-improve-skills-in-academic-writing-6-practical-tips/ Accessed 15 May 2023.
          Irvin, L. Lennie. "What is Academic Writing." Writing Spaces: Readings on Writing 1 (2010): 3-17. https://wac.colostate.edu/docs/books/writingspaces1/irvin--what-is-academic-writ... Accessed 15 May 2023.
          Valdes, Olivia. "An Introduction to Academic Writing: Characteristics and Common Mistakes to Avoid." ThoughtCo. 06 June 2019. https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-academic-writing-1689052 Accessed 15 May 2023.




© Copyright 2023 Mason (teenwriter225 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298401-An-Introduction-To-Academic-Writing