*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299878-The-fight-in-Glendillian
by kat
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2299878
Audreena and Bayleen arrest the ablemen
The Policing party gathered near the Abbey. There was a buzz about the men. This was to be the first opportunity to battle the ablemen since they had been defeated in the sage flats. Gnobb was occupied preparing the party to travel with all the provisions that would be needed for the Journey. Nivaada would accompany the men with a group of camp cooks of her choosing to cook for the travelers. There were to be enough of them that they could divide into groups and go separate ways as needed. Nivaada was overseeing the packing of three different wagons with the same provisions divided equally. The men trickled in and some of those without horses funneled towards the stables in the hopes of gaining a mount while others managed packs loaded with supplies.

Audreena stood in the center of the courtyard watching the commotion from the fairy tree. The school and its inhabitants would be left to her mother, Zeppa and Julibia to manage while they were away.

The branches of the wispy fairy tree swayed in the breeze and the blue fairy lighted out of its branches.
“Beware of the Elves of Etheenawal, they will point you in the wrong direction” the blue fairy flitted higher in the tree as she spoke. Her shimmering essence was reflecting the early morning sun as she flitted higher. “Half moon lake holds the cure.”

Audreena stood watching as the fairy flitted back into the branches and disappeared.
“Oh I hate these cryptic messages.” Audreena spoke. Hearing footsteps behind her she turned and saw Bayleen.
“What is the latest from beyond the mystic?” Bayleen said.
“Oh, Bayleen, I thought that the mystic was done with me for the time being. The Blue fairy just revealed that the Etheenawal Elves would point me in the wrong direction and that the cure would be found at halfmoon lake.’ Audreena said with worry clouding her words.
“We aren’t going to Etheenawal to my knowledge. Maybe the fairy was mistaken or speaking of another time,” Bayleen said, trying to lift her spirits.
“Well maybe, but you know that it always makes sense when we need it. I didn’t know that there were Elves at Etheenawal. Oh how I can’t wait to leave. It has been too long with me stuck here in these walls.”
“Have you packed everything you need on Nein?” Bayleen asked.
“I packed everything I need on Zelen, Nein will be for riding. It has been too long since that fat pony has had to work for me.” Audreena chuckled.”Nein insisted that she be left unburdened in case of trouble. You know how much help she was the last time we needed her.``
“Yes we never would have prevailed in the sage flats had Nein not come to the rescue. It is right that you have such a bond with your protector.”

As the traveling party approached Frichellast a large number of horses and men could be seen milling about near Guntha castle at the edge of the city. The traveling party slowly blended with the men and women waiting for their arrival. As lunch was laid out in the large tent set up for dining everyone began to gather near the entrance. Audeena noticed a young man in the crowd that was thinner and taller than most. HIs hair was long and his dress was highly embellished. He approached her as she prepared to fill her plate.
“Hello, you are a beautiful maid. I don’t know if I have ever seen hair of that color on one so fair.” The tall handsome man stated, smiling at her.

“Thank you,” she replied, “I am Audreena from HIethem Abbey.”
“Pleased to meet you,” the stranger said, “I am Paeris Qiwarin from Etheenawal Tower. I have traveled far to guide your troops to Glendillian.”
“Oh that is some distance,” Audreena said with surprise, “Why did you travel here and not just meet us at the border?”
“Prince Kelvhan wanted us to find those who would be fighting on our soils and spend some time with them before we entered Glendillian so that we could determine the character of those who are to help us stop the border raids and illegal travel into our lands. He was afraid that it would be possible to have infiltrators among the troops. As we can’t be with every man we must be able to trust those in charge.”
“That is a very sound reason,” she replied, “have you met any lords as of yet?”
“Lesparic was here to greet us when we arrived and we have spent several days with him. Before that we met briefly Adillo and Fedarius. They will rejoin us with their men as we travel north.”
“I see. Well you will want to meet my father as well then,” Audreena said with a smile.
“Tinnin, Greydor and Valatar should join us as well soon.” Said Bayleen. “Well at least one of them, maybe more will accompany the troops from Galloway District. I think the men from Fife will meet us in Kandunaniev.”
The tall stranger peered around Audreena to Bayleen who he seemed not to have noticed until just then.
“Interesting information coming from a man in a troopers uniform,” Paeris said, “how do you come by this knowledge?”
“I am Bayleen, I am a good friend of Audreena, Her father is the leader of the troops of Kiannanu.” Bayleen said confidently, “I am sure there will be a meeting of the lords soon, I will be in attendance at the side of Gnobb as advisor of the mystic.”
“Oh you are an advisor of the mystic?” Paeris said sarcastically, “Exactly what do you know about it?”
“I know enough,” Bayleen replied, “I know that you wish you hadn’t been sent here, that you feel we are inferior to those in Glendillian. I know that you have abilities and that you are elven but do not want others to know that. I know I can not trust you with what I know just yet.”
“Bayleen,” Audreena said, “Why must you speak to our guest so? He is simply doing what his prince has demanded of him.”
“Because Audreena he is prying for information from those he barely knows.”
“I did not mean to cause a quarrel,” Paeris said, “Yes Audreena I am trying to do as my prince demanded of me but Bayleen is correct too. I do not feel that your troops will help, as the abilities of your people have been suppressed for years and they are all but useless. I am Eleven and I do not feel that the abilities of humans are as great as elves. I guess I am here to determine what your people could do to help.”
“Oh this is too much,” Audreena said,”I will find my father to help you Paeris.”
“Thank you Audreena,” he said, “It was nice to meet you, Bayleen. May you continue to surprise me!”

And with that he left them to their meal. Bayleen turned to Audreena.
“Don’t you see, we didn’t have to travel to Etheenawal for you to meet the Elves of that region. They came to us. We must warn your father.”
“You are right. We will seek him after we eat.”
When their meal was gone they went to find Gnobb.
“Father,” Audreena said, “I need a word with you.”
“Sure, Daughter,” Gnobb said, “Please excuse me.”
They walked a short distance away from the group of people near the edge of the forest.
“What is it Audreena?” Gnobb asked.
“Before we shot the arrows I was standing by the fairy tree and the fairies gave me a cryptic message. I think I figured out what part of it was all about. They said that the Elves from Etheenawal would lead us astray. They are here, The elves are at this gathering. We met one and he was asking all kinds of questions.”
“I know they are here, but I did not know that they were elves.’
“They may not all be; Paeris is the elf we met. He did not tell us he was an elf, Bayleen knew.”
“How did you know?” Gnobb asked.
“I read his thoughts and I could sense something woodsy about him. I saw the tip of his ear through his hair and when I confronted him he did not deny it.” Bayleen replied. “I knew about the words the Fairies said to Audreena so I was suspicious. What we don’t know is if their misguidance will be intentional or if they will just make a mistake.”
“What else did the fairies tell you,” he said, turning to Audreena.
The blue fairy told me to beware of the Elves of Etheenawal that they will point me in the wrong direction and that Half moon lake holds the cure. I have no idea other than that.”
“Ok we will use caution with them and try to determine what the fairies meant.”


The policing force had grown and when the meal was done all were ready for the hard ride to Maluson where they would spend their first night. It had been decided that the arrows would be saved until all who were planning to travel to The Glendillian Province were present. Gnobb and those who knew what the arrows could do had tried hard to conceal their purpose and so far they had succeeded. As they traveled Gnobb observed the new members of the group, especially the men from Glendillian.
When they gathered outside of Kandunaniev Gnobb sent word that he would hold a lord’s council and that the leader of the men from Glendillian and a few of the ablemen would be invited to join. The meeting would be held in the meeting house of the town.
Bayleen and Audreena approached the meeting house with Gnobb and a few others. Paeris and his men were waiting for them. They entered the great hall and sat around the giant table. Paeris laid out maps and Gnobb looked at them with interest?
“I have never seen maps of your region and I have only traveled through it one time as a very young man. Your expertise will be very valuable to us.” Gnobb said, peering at the maps spread out over the table.
“I hope that your help is as valuable,” the elf retorted.
“I think you will see that we can be most effective against the rogue ablemen,” Gnobb said with kindness.
“Only time will tell," Paeris replied as others joined them at the table.
There was much discussion among the men sharing what they knew about the ablemen that the group were pursuing. It was decided that the Policing force should Camp outside of Nagul and that Fort Ticarando would be the base for all operations while they were over the border. The ablemen used the Titan’s caves to hide while they were looting and pillaging over the border and then come back to Kiannanu to hide among the caves at the far end of the blue ridge mountains. Where they are protected by the thick great forest.
“We do not know your forests like we know ours,” Paeris said, “but I bet that our wood elves could speak to the trees to find them.”
All around the table the men from Kiannanu exchanged glances then Gnobb spoke.
“I am sure that would be a great ability to have. We have no one with such talent.”
“We should start in Glendillian though,” Paeris continued, “We have been told that these rebels are currently in the titan's caves and making forays into the countryside. There are many girls reported missing.”
“It is decided then,” Gnobb said, “We must make haste as these men must be stopped and the women rescued.”


Gnobb called attention in the camp to all and shouted,
“My daughter and her trusted companion Bayleen will now begin the ceremony that will set us on the path to victory in the right way. Audreena, Bayleen please proceed.”
Both stepped away from the crowd and fired the arrows on either side of the gathered crowd. No one reacted to the magical arrows so all had good intentions this time around. No traitors were apparently in the group.

The Policing force set out, as Nagul came into view they found a flat spot between Fort Ticarando and Nagul to set up camp. They divided the vast army into groups and spread out over the land surrounding the caves on the east shores of the vast inland sea bordering the Glendillian province.
“There appears to be no one here,” Gnobb said.
“The caves are covered in a concealment spell,” Paeris said.
“I can feel them,” said Bayleen as he dismounted and placed his hand to the ground, “There are twelve ablemen here. Others too but I can’t feel them as strongly.”
“The magic of your land isn’t as weak as I might have thought,” Paeris said, “Only one with strong powers can feel those under a concealment spell.”
“Could we use the arrows do you think?” Bayleen asked Audreena.
“I assume they would work here like they did in the Sage Flats,” she said in return.
Gnobb nodded and they both drew out their bows and began to shoot arrows to encircle the caves. The cries of agony could be heard above all and soon the concealment spell was broken. All were taken into custody and bound with the rings of Yiyani to block their powers.
One of the captive women was very ill. She appeared to be from another land as her features were sharper and her skin darker than the rest of the captives in the caves. She was too ill to speak. A healer was called and she was able to treat most but this young woman was beyond her abilities.
“She is near death,” the healer said, “You must seek Mariphine, the druid near half moon lake, she will be able to help her, no one else!”
Audreena turned to Bayleen.
“Half moon Lake,” they said to each other in unison.



“Father I want to take Nein to go to half moon lake. Bayleen will accompany me but we must go find the Druid Mariphine. The young slave’s life depends on it.” Audreena said matter-of-factly.
“You may not travel this side of the border without an escort or papers,” Paeris said in response.
“Then provide me with papers or an escort who can fly. I must make haste!” Audreena retorted.
“I will be your escort. Although I do not fly I know someone who does.” Paeris said.
“Very well we must be off at once.”

Audreena mounted Nein with Bayleen behind her and they left the encampment with Paeris following on his white stallion.
As Nein unfolded her wings and took flight Paeris’ mount did the same.
“I did not know you were being truthful about flying. I guess I wholly underestimated your land.” Paeris said.
“It seems you have, we must find this Druid before it is too late.”
“I know a shortcut,” Paeris said.
“I think if we let Nein take us we will have better luck. She knows the mystic better than most.” Audreen replied.
“Good save,” Bayleen whispered.

Nein landed on the shores of half moon lake near a small earthen dwelling and Audreena called out.
“Mariphine, are you here?”
“I am here, what is it that you need?” a frail voice called from the dwelling.
“We were told you are the only one who can save a young girl who we rescued from captivity.
“Is she dark in complexion with dark hair and eyes?” Mariphine asked exiting the dwelling.
“Yes she is. SHe is near death and the healer could not help her. She sent us to find you.” Audreena replied.
“Take me to her.” The old frail woman demanded.
“You can ride with me,” Paeris said hoisting the old woman up behind him.

They flew through the warm night air back to the edge of the camp where the pegasus became horses and they took the old woman to the young girl.
She chanted and waved a smoking amulet over the girl who tossed and turned. The old woman pulled herbs from her bag.
“I need hot water for tea NOW!” she barked.
Audreena went to the cooking hearth where a big pot of water bubbled hot.
“The druid needs some hot water, can't I have some?” She asked.
“Of course dear,” replied Nivaada dipping the scoop into the bucket filling a flask.
Audreena hurried back to the tent and handed the flask to Mariphine. She added the herbs and continued to wave the smoking amulet over the much calmer woman on the bed chanting.
When the tea was ready Mariphine poured it into a cup and held it up to the woman’s lips. She weakly drank the tea one sip at a time.

Maraphine motioned for Bayleen and Audreena to follow her out of the tent.
“You have rescued the last of the royal family of Kelph. They are merpeople and when King Merrick died in an accident in Salehitick Neiro was his nearest male relative. Pasha could not take the throne unless she was wed and she was but 16. It was said that Neiro sold her into slavery. This tea will keep her alive but she must return to the sea or she will die. However if she returns to the sea here she will be killed. You must find a way to keep her safe from her cousin who would see her dead. Once she has regained her health she must find a husband and return to claim her throne.”
“Why must we keep her safe?” Audreena asked.
“Because the mystic brought you to her, you saved her, so you must be the ones to guard her.” She said to them both.
“Very well, we will find a way.”


© Copyright 2023 kat (katsbooks72 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299878-The-fight-in-Glendillian