*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299976-Candice-and-Geoff-at-the-Party-940-words
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by kat
Rated: E · Fiction · Family · #2299976
Candice attends her grandfather's party despite the danger to herself and Geoff.
The night was cool as Candice stepped out onto the patio outside of the large dining hall. She had taken a risk in coming to this party but her grandfather only had so many left in this world. He was turning 96. Such a milestone for one who has had such a long life. Her grandpa had been a soldier in Vietnam. He had come home to a country angry with anyone who had fought over there and had persevered through the rough times. This celebration was to be one of the few remaining in his life and she was happy she was here to share it with him.

Candice let the cool night air blow over her tortured soul before she had to return to the ballroom. As she stood in the moonlight the sound of her grandfather playing the antique piano in the room drifted out to where she stood. Tears filled her eyes as she recognized the song. It was the song he played for Grammie every year on her birthday and at every holiday. She had not heard him play that song since Grammie had passed away four years ago. Her eyes were closed as the tears fell softly down her cheeks soaking her fine gown.

“It is a beautiful song,” Geoff said as he stood close to her, “you should really come inside. You know it is not safe out here in the open. If they caught wind that you were here we could be forced to flee again. It is bad enough that we have to remain in hiding.”

“Everyone thinks I died in the fire,” she said with sadness, “I could not miss this too. I missed Grammie’s last birthday and their final anniversary together. I have made it to every birthday he has celebrated since.”
“I know,” Geoff said, “The other parties were just family but, I know it is important to you and to him which is why we are here. I am not sure the disguise is fooling anyone.”
“I am sure it is fooling my cousins,” she chuckled, “But Grandpa knows that I am here. They will all think him daft when he speaks of it but he knows it is me.”
“I know you are close to your grandfather,” Geoff said, “We really should go inside.”
“Very well,” Candice agreed finally, "let's go see him one last time before we sneak away for the night.”

As they entered the large ball room full of the many people who had come to celebrate Alexander Marek's birthday, she took note of her cousins who were so sure of themselves now that they believed her dead that they hadn’t even noticed her. Her parents were across the room but they were so absorbed in the details of the party she had gone unnoticed by them as well. She wore a fine gown of silk and taffeta in a blue that would have complimented her blue eyes had she not worn brown contacts. Her red curls had been hidden beneath a blond wig and her makeup had been applied by a specialist making her seem darker in complexion than she truly was with a scar on her right cheek. She had gone unnoticed by all who knew her.

She approached the old man at the piano and leaned down to give him a hug from behind.
“Sit next to me child and play with me,” the old man said to her, “It has been too long since we have played together.”

“Grandfather, I can not stay,” Candice said as she sat next to him.
“I know, I knew you were ok. Everyone keeps telling me you are dead,” She looked around and saw that no one had taken notice of them, “I knew you were not. I would know if my favored grandchild were no longer in this world.”

“Grandfather, don’t talk like that,” Candice said, “I know you love all of your grandchildren.”
“I do. But none are as selfless, kind and giving as you. You make this old man proud.” Tears filled his eyes, “I do not know what you have gotten yourself mixed up in that you had to disappear from our lives but I am happy to know you are ok.”
“Yes Grandfather I am ok. I have a protector and soon I hope I will be able to join the real world again. I have missed you so very much.”
“Candice I have missed you too, Terribly.” The old man replied as the tears spilled down his cheeks.

As they finished playing one song together Candice leaned towards the old man.
“I love you poppy,” she said quietly.
“I love you too, cricket,” he said, putting one arm around her.
She sat in his embrace for a moment longer than she meant to.
“I must go," she said. "I will come again if I can.”
“I know you will. Take care of yourself.”
“I will Poppy.” She got up and turned to Geoff, “We need to go now.”
“The car is waiting,” he said in return.

They walked through the crowd of aunts, uncles, cousins, friends and other relatives as though they were invisible. No one knew who the mysterious blond was and no one cared to guess. The car was outside and Geoff took the keys from the valet before opening the door for Candice. Then he got in and they drove away into the night away from the family she once held so dear.

As they departed Candice saw Georgie's car pull into the parking lot. They had left just in the nick of time!

© Copyright 2023 kat (katsbooks72 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299976-Candice-and-Geoff-at-the-Party-940-words