*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2302316-The-Thickety-Spellbound-Chapter-2
by PPP
Rated: E · Fiction · Gothic · #2302316
The next chapter of my The Thickety fanfiction
The man was still alive, Paula noticed. The flames on his body did not scorch him. He was running from the De’Noran Red Guard. They were the near most powerful branch of the De’Noran Guard, with the ability to kill. And they were doing it good.
The water produced from their guns seemed to get rid of the flames on the man. The man looked like he was about to die. His skin was changing into ash. Before he did though, he looked at Paula, and for a moment, she was certain he smiled at her.
The man crumpled into ash and disappeared. The Red Guard wasn’t so sure that he was dead, however. They ordered a lockdown of the entire room, and Paula was escorted out. She was able to see the inside of the room with the door mirror.
The most powerful branch of the De’Noran Guard, the De’Noran Seeing Eyes, were deployed; they were personally assigned by the Overseer, so they stepped aside. They did rituals with muffled words. Then, the ashes of the burning man screeched and disappeared. The Seeing Eyes disappeared. Then, the Red Guard said it was safe to go out. The event was shocking for the young minds which were there.
But it was most traumatizing for Paula.

Master Graves’s board was filled with the title for today’s lesson, The Ills of Magicke.
“Now tell me, what are the signs of magic.” Master Graves said. No one answered.
“Very well, then. The signs of magic are” He wrote on the chalkboard.
• Wanting more
• Differences
• Dreaming impure thoughts, or things that cause impure thoughts
• Having the Mark
• Uncouth clothing (Paula laughed on that one)
• Not wanting to be a good housewife to your mate

“These paths are followed by unsavory people. The Clen said the true way to salvation is through torment. Not through these. So, let’s start today’s lesson.”
Master Graves said “I am telling this because the Wigwood is approaching. That will be the mandatory educational test to see if you are able to stay in this village of go to the Sanctum.”
Everyone knew what that meant. The Sanctum was the most farthest part of the village, deep within the Thickety.


Master Graves told them to sign a form deciding whether they would go to the Sanctum. Paula knew that her future might depend on this. So, she thought about it for a while.
Wouldn’t the Sanctum be good, she thought. There she might be in peace.
But, she thought about Tau, and how he would miss her. She knew she would never forgive herself for this if this went wrong.
She chose the option that she would stay, and left the room to the next class.
© Copyright 2023 PPP (penpaperpal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2302316-The-Thickety-Spellbound-Chapter-2