*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303083-Jeff-Smiled
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2303083
Flash Fiction
Jeff Smiled

Ring, ring… “Hello?”

“Where were you last night?”

“Who is this?”

“Yeah right. You think that’s gonna get you out of it? You promised you’d be there! Promised! I was counting on you, I had it all planned out, but I certainly couldn’t do it by myself!”

“I don’t know…”

“You don’t know why you didn’t show up for the biggest event in my life? So far! You promised! I never would have asked Sandy to meet me if I thought you wouldn’t show up. That was the whole surprise!

“Surprise?”

“Weren’t you even listening? Of course it was a surprise. You know Sandy wouldn’t have even shown up if she thought there was a plan.”

“A plan…”

“Your plan! I never would have gone through with this if you hadn’t talked me into it. And then you don’t show up? What kind of friend is that?”

“I don’t…”

“Darn right you don’t. You don’t even feel like a friend right now, let alone a best friend!”

“Best friend?”

“Fine, yes, best friend. I know you must have had a good reason for not showing up. Seriously I was just mad because it was such a great plan and now we have to start from scratch.”

“I’m sorry…”

“Don’t be, it was a good plan, but we’ll just come up with a better plan. I’m sorry I got so crazy, will you forgive me?”

Silence

“Jeff? Jeff, are you still there?”

“My name is Harold…”

“Oops, …. wrong number, sorry!” Click

Jeff smiled.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303083-Jeff-Smiled