*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305023-The-Light
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Fantasy · #2305023
You find yourself miles above water
Word count: ~610
Prompt: You're on a boat, when you see a faint light coming towards you. What is it and what happens next?

You've always loved canoeing. The way your arms push the paddle against the water and that moves the boat forward is the closest to magic you think you'll ever come.

You're in the middle of a lake in Oregon. Relaxing with just the fog, pines and water. Then you see the orb.

It's hovering in the sky, blue green and slowly getting lower. All of a sudden you're aware of a faint buzzing sound. Its subtle but it's starting to give you a headache and make you uneasy.

As it gets closer, you can see details. It looks like a flying tic-tac. You want to scream but it's like your vocal chords are paralyzed.

Suddenly you feel yourself and the canoe start lifting out of the lake. Something is making your hair stand on end. You're terrified.

A bright yellow green rectangle opens up and you're drawn inside the flying contraption. The craft closes up and your boat lands on a solid floor with a thunk. You're jarred by the impact but physically fine.

All around you is a bustle of activity. Brownish-green creatures with long ribbed proboscis and black dome like eyes operate various pieces of equipment. Some of it looks like floating holograms. There's conversation in some language you don't recognize.

You finally notice that a couple of the creatures are looking at you. They chatter to each other and begin approaching you.

"Stay the hell away from me!" You yell as you swing one oar violently.

They stop short and start trying to communicate with you. Their tone is soothing but you still don't understand a word. You think calming down would be a good idea. Who knows what these strange beings could do to you?

One of the pair that is interacting with you pulls out a bag and shows you what's inside it. A wand attached to a box, a small thing with a trigger and a tube, and something that looked like a radio transmitter.

There's an object that looks vaguely like a pen light. None of it appears lethal. You relax a little and let the creatures approach you.

They wave the wand on the box over you and your canoe. It clicks a few times and then flashes a green light at the top. The one with the tool shows the other creature. It seems pleased with the way the lights are blinking.

Slowly they set that instrument down and pick up the pen light. The creatures lift up one eyelid and shine the beam in your eye. Then the repeat the process with the other side.

"That hurts!" You complain. The one doing the exam coos condescendingly and pats you on the head. They gesture to their companion.

You find yourself struggling against a tight embrace. You try to break free but these creatures must have powerful muscles.

A sharp jab in your arm makes you grunt in pain. Not long after, you feel your consciousness ebb. Your vision and senses dull to unknowingness.

Much later, the gentle rocking of rippling waters rouses you. You're back on the lake. Had that just been a dream?

Careful not to loose your oar, you sit up. As you do, you notice a tender spot on your back. Instinctively, you reach up and feel the area.

You're shocked by what your fingers tell you. There's a large cut and a lump under your skin. You think it might be a bug bite. What happened?

You look at the sky. The stars are out. You'd come out on the lake at seven in the morning. Your watch says it's now 19:45 at night?! Somethings not right.
© Copyright 2023 SP is Muddling through (scarypotato14 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305023-The-Light