*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306311-Tainted-Treat
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2306311
A time warp back to the 90s. Going to houses has never been scarier.
This year was going to be epic! I had my black cat costume on and my monster print pillow case...nothing was going to stop me from getting the ultimate Halloween haul.

My little brother, Edgar, was a Power Ranger again. Actually, we'd both worn the same costumes for three years. Mom couldn't afford new materials or store bought costumes. My black jumpsuit with tail was getting a little too small.

"Mom," I complained. "Why can't I be an all black cat this year?" She looked astonished. "But you look so much prettier with a white belly," she insisted. "Please just one more year and you can be something else."

I knew she wouldn't give in so I gave up.

It was almost six at night. "Time to start our route dad!" I shouted.

My father came out with his cardboard wizard hat. He looked silly but I kept quiet. Dad could be over sensitive. "Okay," he said. "We'll be back by eight."

The first few houses were great! Lots of Tootsie Rolls and Jolly Ranchers. Then we came to a house we'd never been to before. It wasn't bright and cheery like the others. A strobe light and fog machine were running on the porch. There were cobwebs in the tree and fake gargoyles.

"Lets go," I said. My feet wouldn't move. Edgar pushed past me. "I'm not scared Millie," he said. "See?"

I was not letting my little brother upstage me. I dashed after him. There was a sign by the door. "Candy inside house," dad read. "Come in if you dare!"

"This seems weird," my dad said. "Are you sure you want to go in?"

I nodded even though my heart was beating so hard it felt like it was in my throat. I held my prosthetic tail for comfort.

It was unbelievably dark inside. It wasn't like a normal house. Narrow partitions with black fabric herded us in one direction. Creepy purple lights were the only illumination.

A hand grabbed me from behind. "Ahh!" I screamed. "What was that?!"

I spun around and a huge skeleton that glowed green was right behind me. I was rooted to the spot. I couldn't tell if he was a person or a ghost. Once I could move, I clung to dad's robes.

"Did you see that?" I asked. "It was so scary."

My dad patted me on my head. "Don't worry," he said. "We'll be out soon it's all make believe." I wanted to believe that.

I looked behind us, the skeleton had disappeared. Well that was okay then.

The corridor opened out wider. A TV was on and a small cage with shredded newspaper at the bottom sat on a table near the arm chair. The back of it was to us but I could tell there was a man in a clown costume. Maybe this was where we got the candy?

I went up to the front of the chair. "Excuse me, your house is very scary and--Ahh!"

I ran back to my dad in tears. "What now?" He asked. I tried to catch my breath. "Th-there's a clown over there," I said. "Half his face is gone and there's a couple of rats eating him!"

My dad's face turned blotchy red. I could even tell by the dim lights he was livid. "Right!" He said. "Come on kids I think I see the exit. We're leaving whether we get candy or not!"

I was totally with him. My brother Edgar had gone pale and looked ready to vomit. We moved down the last alleyway.

Just as I could make out the doorway, a woman in an old house dress stumbled in front of us. I could see blood leaking between the fingers she had clutched to her throat.

"Help me! Please help me!" She wheezed. The woman was ghostly pale she almost glowed in the purple lights.

"Guys," I said. "I think thats a real ghost!" I ran past the lady and out the door.

"I never want to go Trick or Treating again!" I moaned.
"Me either!" Edgar seconded.
"Stupid arse holes," my dad said. "What do they think they're doing? Luring kids into that horrible scene!"

It wasn't until fifteen years later that I learned the truth. I was doing some research for a criminology class and browsing the news archives. "Couple Found Slaughtered on Halloween Night." The headline wasn't what caught my eye.

The photo of the house where it happened was the one we'd been to a decade and a half ago. I couldn't help wondering if the skeleton had murdered them.

Prompt: Trick or Treat
Word count:~769
© Copyright 2023 Scarypotato-doing bettertoday (scarypotato14 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306311-Tainted-Treat