*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305126-Review-of-Bohemian-Rhapsody-by-Queen
by bfranc
Rated: 13+ · Review · Music · #2305126
This video was taken from a performance of "A Night at the Opera" recorded in 1975.
"Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen is rock and roll at its finest. Freddie Mercury’s compelling piano channels Chopin with a flowing, gentle accompaniment punctuated with bursts of flamboyant crescendos that pair perfectly with his makeup, which is at once beautiful and alarming.

This operatic rock romp through the nihilistic story of the singer who commits murder could be interpreted as a middle finger thrust in the face of the Church of England and its beliefs.

First, you have a young man killing another man. This could be a rejection of the Church’s beliefs concerning sex and sexuality. While he awaits trial, Mercury laments the pain he’s put his mother through. The story rings true with a touch of self-pity when he wishes that he’d never been born.

If the song is a middle finger to the church, Beelzebub is a poke in the eye. Mercury may take some comfort in Beelzebub because, unlike the Church, this nefarious being at least pretends he cares by assigning our beloved singer his own devil.

Regardless of the lyrics and their meaning, the “Bohemian Rhapsody” video on YouTube is worth every last second it takes to watch and believe, if only for a few minutes, that nothing really matters.
© Copyright 2023 bfranc (bfranc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305126-Review-of-Bohemian-Rhapsody-by-Queen