*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307344-Heidi-And-Mildred
by Sum1
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #2307344
A short story, and a recipe
Heidi And Mildred


         “Oh Mom! That small cow is so pretty! Can we get it? Pleeeeeaseeee.”

         Heidi was a ten-year-old girl with a love for animals. All kinds of animals, even snakes and reptiles. Her parents had taken her to the Outer Links Petting Zoo to see the animals there. What Heidi didn’t know was that her parents had arranged for her to help care for the animals.

         “Heidi, you don’t know anything about caring for a cow. Do you know how much time it will take each day to take care of it?”

         “I don’t care Mom; I think she’s pretty. I promise I will take good care of her. You and Dad won’t have to do anything. Pinky promise!”

         Mrs. Collier did a sort of double-take, because even though Heidi was only ten, a Pinky-promise meant she would keep her word no matter what. She didn’t know what to say to her plea and pursed her lips as she thought quickly. She was saved from having to answer Heidi by the approach of Jason, one of the caretakers at the Petting Zoo.

         “So, is this our help for the day?” Jason looked at Heidi as he said this, a little surprised at her small frame.

         “I get to help with the animals today?”

         “Well young lady, we’ll see. Some of these animals are more than twice your size, are you sure you can handle these animals?”

         “I’m sure, sir!”

         The rest of the afternoon was a blur for Heidi. She worked long and hard caring for the animals at the Petting Zoo, but she never forgot about that calf. During their last brief rest for the day Heidi said, “Mr. Jason, that small cow I was standing next to with my mom. I want that cow!”

         “Heidi, you can’t have Mildred, she needs to remain here because she’s blind.”

         “What?”

         “Yes, she’s blind. We have a stall set up for her, as well as a special grazing area. The stall has a bell that we can ring when it’s feeding time. Because she is blind, we also have her area lined with small bells. This way she knows where she is and can get back to her stall. We can’t sell her to anyone, I’m sorry.”

         Heidi hung her head and pouted. She was used to getting her way, she was not used to being told no. Slowly her eyes filled with tears as she realized Jason was right.

         Jason saw her tears and said, “I’ll tell you what. You can come here every weekend and any day during the summer break. You can care for Mildred all you want as long as she remains here. But you must also help with the other animals too. Deal?”

         Hearing this, Heidi smiled broadly, happy that she would be able to see Mildred again. The following weeks and months seemed to fly by. Heidi was true to her word in her care of Mildred. She would care for the rest of the animals and then spend every spare minute with Mildred. But one day Mildred was nowhere to be found.

         Heidi looked in all the places that Mildred would normally be found, but she wasn’t there. She decided she needed to find Jason to see if he knew where Mildred could be. As she approached the small house that the Petting Zoo caretakers lived in, she couldn’t help but hear Jason and Javier talking.

         Javier said, “Man, this is Teriyaki is going to be so good! Using fresh young beef for it was pure inspiration, that’s for sure!”

         Jason never had a chance to reply as Heidi came storming in.

         “You butchered Mildred to make your Teriyaki? I hope you both burn for this!”

         “What are you talking about Heidi?”

         “Mildred is nowhere to be found, and you’re making Teriyaki with fresh young beef? What else could I be talking about?”

         “Mildred? Isn’t she in her area? Ring her bell, she’ll come back.”

         “I already rang her bell, but she didn’t come home. So, I came here to ask you about her, and learn that you and Javier are making Teriyaki with fresh young beef. What am I supposed to believe?”

         “Heidi, we didn’t butcher Mildred. We do like our beef, but we’d never harm one of our petting zoo animals. They’re like family to us. C’mon Javier, let’s help Heidi find Mildred.”

         As they walked out the door Heidi gasped. There on the doorstep was Mildred, silently waiting for her friend Heidi. Heidi squealed with delight and hugged Mildred’s neck. Her head was buried in Mildred’s neck, her tears wetting the cow’s neck.

         “I’m sorry Jason, I should have known you wouldn’t hurt Mildred.”

         “Well, you can make it up to us by trying my homemade Teriyaki. I made the sauce last night; the beef’s been marinating it in all night and all day today.”

         “What are we going to do with Mildred though?”

         “Well, she needs to eat her dinner while we eat ours. Let’s get her back to her stall, I must find out how she got out of her area though first thing tomorrow. Tonight though, the staff is coming over for dinner, you will be our special guest, once I let your mother know you’re eating here.”

         The dinner was far more than Heidi expected, the Teriyaki was the best she’d had. She even ended up asking Jason to give the recipe to her mother.



Beef Teriyaki Kabobs



Ingredients:


         1 Rump Roast, size determined by how many will enjoy this.

         12 oz Pineapple Juice

         12 oz Soy Sauce

         1 lb. Brown Sugar.

         Garlic Powder

         Ginger Powder


Preparation:


         Cut the roast into bite size pieces. Not too small, the idea is to cut them large enough to be placed on a skewer and not fall apart.

         Mix soy sauce and pineapple juice in a large bowl.

         Add Brown Sugar tasting the sauce after adding about ½ lb. You want to neutralize the salt flavor from the soy sauce. This will make the meat sweet, if you want it less sweet, stop adding the brown sugar when there’s still a slight salt taste to the sauce.

         Add Garlic & Ginger Powder to taste. (I use more Garlic Powder than Ginger)

         Add the beef cubes to the sauce. Cover and marinate for at least 12 hours. (I usually marinate mine for at least 18 hours).

         When it’s dinner time, skewer the beef and cook on a grill. Serve with a side of your choice. I love making this with Corn-On-The-Cob and Rice. You can also make this same sauce for steaks.

         NOTE: The sauce will taste far different the next day than it does the afternoon/evening you prepare it.



© Copyright 2023 Sum1 (jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307344-Heidi-And-Mildred