*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2309033-Eddie-And-Dave-Ch14
by Bruce.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Adult · #2309033
Final Chapter.
Chapter 14.


Eddie was questioned at the police station and was detained overnight. He woke up the next morning wondering why they had kept him in the cell. He found it hard to believe that he had backed into someone but the police seemed to have the proof. He was unsure what was to happen but his concerns eased, only slightly, when he was released later on bail. "Has the Commer works van been cleared? Can I take it?" he said to the desk sergeant.

         "No," the desk sergeant replied. "We are not finished with it yet."

         Great, Eddie thought. Stuck with no transport again. Maybe his older brother had not managed to sell the Ford Granada yet and thought he would call later to see if he still had it.

         That evening Eddie called around to see Monica. He was worried about her after the revelation that she was lucky to have avoided being harmed by her stalker at The Jug House, but there was no one at home. He knew that Jeff was often in The Prince Regent near to where he lived and he decided to call in to see if he was there. He was thinking it might be best to avoid the unwanted attention he might get in The Jug House. Eddie was in luck and he saw Jeff sitting on a high stool at the bar. He walked over and noticed the Mini-Van keys lying on the bar.

         "You've got the Mini-Van now then," Eddie said.

         "No, Dave's still got it."

         "So, where is he then?"

         "He’s gone to the toilets for a leak," Jeff said.

         "I didn't think Sue would let you out with him again?"

         "Well, they only live over the road, don't they? Once we all calmed down a bit we could see the funny side of it."

         "Oh, there was a funny side was there?" Eddie spoke with an obvious sarcasm in his voice.

         "Well, it was like a double double-cross, weren't it, but one thing's for sure, it won't happen again." Jeff was obviously embarrassed by the whole thing and he changed the subject. "I thought you might have brought Monica out with you?"

         "No, I'll leave it for tonight. I did call round for her but she was out. I suppose she will probably want to rest at home, when she gets back, after what she's been through. Anyway, I'll see her at the karate club tomorrow. Did you two call in at The Jug House earlier?"

         "Just popped in for a quick one. The place is packed; full of ghouls. You've earned him a fortune."

         "I've earned him nothing. It's that nutter that's earned him a fortune. All I earned was a night in an Arbour Square police cell."

         "Still, I bet you get a free drink or two the next time you go in there. So, I suppose you've not heard the news about Anne?"

         "What news?"

         "Here's Dave, I'll let him tell you." Eddie looked at Dave as he walked over, he was grinning and obviously in a good mood. This could be the worst news ever. He thought that maybe they arranged a date for the wedding? Had he really lost the love of his life due to his stupid drunken fling with that girl at the party?

         "Put your money away, Eddie," Dave said. "The beers are on me tonight."

         "Why’s that?"

         "Anne's had a miscarriage, earlier on today."

         That was unexpected. Suddenly Eddie's own problems seemed insignificant as he imagined the distress and possible danger that Anne could be suffering. "She's lost the baby. How is she? Where is she?"

         "Oh, she's all right, she's at the hospital and her mother's with her."

         "Well, why ain't you there?"

         "Because I'm here with my mates. It's time to celebrate; great news ay? No need to marry the slag now. I'm off the hook."

         Eddie didn't answer. He struck Dave with a powerful right hook that immediately floored him. He picked up the Mini-Van keys and dashed out.

         Jeff looked down at Dave. "Well, that was a hook that you didn't get off very well," he said.

         Eddie called at The Mile End Hospital in a panic, but Anne was not there and he had to go to Whitechapel. It was getting late and he was concerned that he may not get to see her. He knew he had to. He was worried about her, knowing how depressed she must be feeling. Eddie got to the ward at Whitechapel Hospital and saw Monica and Anne's mother at Anne's bedside. Eddie was shocked at the sight of Anne. He was somehow foolishly expecting her to look her usual happy self and realised he had got it wrong again. She was sleeping and looked pale and pasty. The fact that she was connected to a drip further worried him. "Please tell me she's gonna be all right."

         "She's okay," Monica said. "She's been a bit down, but that's only to be expected. She'll be all right, the worst is over."

         "What's all them drips and things then?"

         "Don't worry about them. She's fine and they'll probably let her home tomorrow."

         Anne's mother was giving him a hostile stare."And how did you know about Anne's loss," her mother asked.

         "I saw Dave in the pub and he told me."

         "Don't mention that man's name to me," she replied. "When I told him the bad news he actually laughed and said he was going to celebrate. He's a worse rat than you. All I can say is that he won't be laughing when her father catches up with him."

         Eddie thought that he should be happy because Dave was in the bad books with Anne's mother, but she still seemed hostile towards him.

         Visiting time was over and they walked outside. "I'd offer you a lift but there's only one extra seat in the van," Eddie said.

         "It's all right, we are going for a cab."

         "Monica, do you think I still have a chance with Anne?"

         "Eddie, despite everything, I can tell you that I know Anne still loves you very much." Monica looked at Anne's mother walking off. "I'll have to catch her up. You can pick me up tomorrow afternoon if you like and we'll call here together."

         "What about you, Monica? How are you feeling after what happened with that mad bloke?"

         "I'm fine. Hopefully it is all over now. Look, I've got to go. I'll see you tomorrow."

         Eddie looked at her walking away thinking she is such a good friend to him and such a good friend to Anne as well. Her words had brought a smile to his face for the first time that night. He drove off in the Mini-Van to his brother's house and was pleased that he still had the Ford Granada.

         The next day Eddie called round for Monica in the Granada. It was a nice surprise as she was expecting him in the Mini-Van. They were soon at the hospital and they found Anne in the day room reading a magazine. She still looked pale but looked delighted when she saw Eddie with Monica. He pulled over two light stacking chairs and they sat opposite her.

         "Thanks for coming last night, Eddie. When I found out you had come to see me last night I was so happy. It really choked me up."

         "I had to come, I was so worried about you."

         "More than that mate of yours, Dave. Have you seen him?"

         "Last time I saw him he was having a lie down in the Regent bar, and he's no mate of mine."

         "Typical of that selfish, uncaring prat. And why was he lying down in the pub anyway?"

         "Because I clumped him and he went over."

         "You did that for me?"

         "I'll do anything for you, Anne."

         Anne's mother walked into the room and looked at Eddie. "Hello, young man," she said, but it seemed she said the greeting grudgingly.

         Eddie turned back to Anne, raised his eyebrows and gave her a surprised look following her mother's words. "I'll take you home, Anne, when they let you go." Eddie said. "I've got my Granada outside."

         "They will probably not let me home until tomorrow."

         "I'll go and check," her mother said and walked off to find the nurse.

         "I heard a little rumour that the Granada wasn't yours," Anne said.

         "It wasn't, but it is now. My brother's gone all paranoid about this trouble in the Middle East. He thinks we'll have trouble getting petrol and that, so he's gone and bought himself a small car."

         "Anyway won't you be going to your karate tomorrow night."

         "No, Anne, I won't. I'll come back here to see you, if you don't mind."

         "I'm a bit nervous, Eddie. Are we getting back together again?"

         "Oh, I hope so, Anne." He looked at her and smiled as he knelt down and began massaging her toes.

         "Eddie, pack it in, Monica will think you're a bloody perv' or something." But she didn't attempt to pull her foot away.

         “Don’t mind me,” Monica said. "I had my feet pampered once. I found it quite pleasant.”

         "Has anyone ever told you that you have the sweetest and prettiest feet in the world?" Eddie said.

         "No," Anne said with a grin. "They haven't."

         "That doesn't surprise me in the least," he said, mimicking W.C.Fields.

         Anne pulled her feet away and began laughing. "I've really missed you, Eddie. "You should go to the karate tomorrow night. I don't want you missing out on that."

         "One night's not going to matter. I'll go next week."

         "What about Friday? I suppose you'll be going out with your mates on Friday?"

         "No, things have changed now. Friday nights I can spend some time pampering those lovely feet of yours."

         She wiggled her toes. "I can't wait. I'm proud of my little feet you know."

         "I know you are, Anne, and I'll be proud and happy to be back with you again, if you'll let me."

         "Oh, yes, Eddie." She held her arms out to him. "Come here."

         Eddie got home full of relief and overjoyed that he had a chance with Anne again. She would need time to get over her ordeal before things could return to how they were before; before his biggest ever mistake. They must leave the bad thoughts in the past. Worry began to enter his mind as he thought of the times she had built his hopes up only to crash them down again as if she had done it deliberate to punish him. Had she really forgiven him, or could she turn nasty again because of his sexual encounter with Denise at the party? Could it all flare up again, next week, next month, next year? He could only hope it would not and he would have to work hard to give her all the love and attention that he could. He also had to try to win her mother over. Then there was the possibility that he might be charged for dangerous driving.Would it all come good in the end? Only time would tell.



STATIC
Ch 1. Monica.   (18+)
Things were going well for Monica, but that was about to change.
#1606528 by Bruce.
© Copyright 2023 Bruce. (brucef at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2309033-Eddie-And-Dave-Ch14