*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2310169-Titan-Moon-of-Saturn
Rated: E · Fiction · Sci-fi · #2310169
In the Monetization of Space age, circa 2090 CE, a look at humans living in space.
When is this series? 2090 CE the Trancendance Age

What does that mean? Beginning in the mid 21st century. Human beings, real actual humans began colonizing the solar system. It began with a certain group of rich entrepreneurs colonizing Mars.

Once humans had a foothold on Mars. We began exploiting the resources on the smaller planet.

Like Jamestown, when it was a fort and not a city, the colonists lived and died in a confined area. These were some of the first habitat units or HAB units ever built.

These structures were not comfortable but provided protection from the low pressures, solar radiation and low temperatures of the Martian surface. HABs were the only place with food, cultivation farms, medical attention or water.

Eventually the Martian colonies became a way point for ships on their way elsewhere. In particular, the moons of Saturn and Jupiter.

This was the beginning of the Age of Transcendence. Humanity had become an inter planetary species.

What's the difference between inter planetary and inter stellar?
Well as to the date the events in this series happen, 2090 CE, humanity has not ventured beyond the solar system. We are sending people to moons, planets and dwarf planets around our home star. We don't have the capability to defy the speed of light, travel through hypothetical worm holes or make multi generational ships at the end of the 21st. We wouldn't even be able to visit the Alpha Centauri system.

Yeah I know thats boring but that is the way it is.

So what are people doing out in the Solar System? Well it's not just mining and colonization. Space tourism is big. There's also a fair amount of trade and commercial endeavors. Sometimes theres pirates and fugitives from justice. Just real quick, the common term for these space marauders is freebooters! I will not use the term "space pirate"; the Metroid series can keep that.(sorry Samus!)

What is the Titan Mining Company? It is a limited liability company, or LLC. They were established in 2070 and specialize in extracting hydrocarbons from the lakes and ices of Titan. (i.e. methane ice) these are shipped around the solar system but not for use as fuel. Instead they are for use as chemical precursors and in textiles. Believe it or not at the end of the 21st century, these things are still important.
© Copyright 2023 Scarypotato-doing bettertoday (scarypotato14 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2310169-Titan-Moon-of-Saturn