*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2310509-Little-Red
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2310509
The Writer's Cramp Contest Entry
A little girl wearing a red robe with a hood went walking into the woods. Half an hour later, a purple dragon showed up, "Why are you walking in the woods by yourself?"

"I am going through the woods to my grandmother's house."

"That's a dangerous adventure, especially for a little girl like you."

"I know, but I'm not scared."

"Really? Not even of me?"

"No."

"I could eat you, you know."

"But you won’t"

"What makes you think I won't"

"Because dragons don’t eat people."

"Where did you hear that?"

"Read it in a book."

"What else did this book tell you?"

"That dragons are protectors of humans."

"Is that so?"

"Yeah."

"You're a smart kid. So, do you want my protection?"

"Sure, I guess."

"All right then, lead the way."

A little over an hour later, the dragon stopped to drink some water at a river, unknown to the little girl, who kept walking.

Not too long after that, she heard a noise through some bushes and stopped. A big bad wolf came out a few feet in front of her, "What is a little girl like you doing out here?"

"Going to my grandma's house."

"All alone?"

"No, I have a dragon with me."

"A dragon? I see no dragon. I just see you."

The little girl turned around to see nothing there, then looked back at the wolf, who was now standing right in front of her; grinning.

"Wow, you have big teeth!"

"All to better to eat with," the wolf opened his mouth. Just before he took a bite, he felt a tap on his shoulder and turned around. The dragon was standing right behind him.

"Excuse me, but what do you think you’re doing?"

"I…um… was just making sure that she was safe. After all, the woods can be a dangerous place for a little girl."

"Well, I am here now, so you can go."

The wolf sprinted off, and the two of them continued their journey.
© Copyright 2023 Andrew W (wegrzynwriting at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2310509-Little-Red