*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316236-She-Never-Wore-Green
Rated: E · Short Story · Friendship · #2316236
The Writer's Cramp Contest Entry
Emma only wore black. So naturally, she never wore green on St Patrick’s Day. Students would normally lightly pinch those who didn’t wear green on this day, but she was left alone. Everyone was too afraid to go near her, no matter what the day was.

However, this year a new student, Sarah, decided to give it a try; thinking she might be fine with it. She was always friendly to people and when she heard that Emma had no friends, she wanted to change that.

So, in between periods she walked up to her and lightly pinched her arm, “You’re not wearing green.”

She was gentle with her pinch and Emma was wearing a long-sleeved shirt, so she couldn’t have caused much pain or discomfort.

When Sarah was done pinching, the hallway was silent, and she immediately had second thoughts. She watched Emma slowly turn her head in her direction. She could feel Emma's eyes piercing into her soul and a shiver down her spine. She backed off slowly while apologizing. Emma continued to stare at her with an emotionless face.

Sarah power-walked to her next class and Emma watched her walk away until she was out of sight. Then, looked around at the others who were standing there. They too hustled to their next class. Emma was now alone in the hallway.

After the next class, Sarah walked around vigilantly looking for Emma. Her heart pounded more than usual, thinking Emma could be around the corner. When she made it to her next class, she sighed with relief.

When the last class of the day was over, Sarah waited a while before leaving the classroom. When ready, she made her way home.

Sarah walked the halls with her head on a swivel. A few times, she thought she saw Emma. When off the school property, she felt in the clear and continued her way home peacefully.

About ten minutes after she got home, she heard knocking. When she opened the door, Emma was standing there, and Sarah yelped.

The next day, rumors were circulating when it was reported that Sarah didn’t show up at school. Emma noticed people whispering about her as she passed them by. The rumors slowly died when Sarah showed up later that day and kept telling people she was fine.

During lunchtime, Emma was sitting alone, as usual. After Sarah got her food, she noticed Emma and sat next to her. The cafeteria got a little quieter. The two just sat there eating in silence.

Eventually, the cafeteria was back to its normal volume. A few minutes after that, some of Sarah’s friends got up and joined them. Sarah introduced Emma to the group and a new friendship was born.
© Copyright 2024 Andrew W (wegrzynwriting at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316236-She-Never-Wore-Green