*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2313184-A-Good-Deal
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #2313184
A bargain purchase too good to ignore? A Daily Flash Fiction entry.
"What's that?" huffed Rumble as he stooped to enter the cave.
         Whisper shrugged her substantial dragon shoulders.
         "It's just a little something that caught my eye."
         "Huh, it feels squishy," he exclaimed poking and prodding with his sharp claws.
         "It doesn't smell like something to eat."
         Whisper giggled and belched.
         "Oh Dad it's not something to gobble up. Humans have this and I wanted it, too."
         Rumble glared at his teenaged daughter and shook his great head.
         "What do they do with it?"
         Whisper couldn't help it. She snorted. Her father had speared her purchase with his tail and he minced about twirling it among his scales.
         She sputtered, "I notice the wee humans flailing about in water with this squeezing their puny arms. It seems to make them laugh and screech."
         'Here catch," shouted her father bunting the new object at her with his snout.
         Chortling, Whisper joined in this spontaneous game. Back and forth they volleyed. Soon the cave echoed with their grunts ,gasps and 'woohoos.' Neither noticed or cared they knocked over furniture and tripped over the carpet.
          A shadow bellowed," Hey! What's all this thrashing and thumping?"
         Startled, Rumble slipped and thudded to the rock floor. Catching his breath he heard a strange, high-pitched sound, a pfft.
         His son the intruding shadow, and his daughter both moaned, "Dad!"
         "That's not me," he protested.
         Whisper tugged Rumble to his feet and stared at the flattened impulse buy. Her brother sauntered over and said, "Isn't that a water wing? Why is it here? We have wings don't we ?"
         He flexed his wings to emphasize his point. Both he and his father turned to Whisper. She blushed and stammered.
         "I dunno. I got it on sale."
         (287 words )
© Copyright 2024 SandraLynn Team Florent! (nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2313184-A-Good-Deal