*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2313694-Green
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #2313694
Is colour the important detail? Daily Flash Fiction winner!
         Sydney felt a nudge to her elbow and forced one eye open.
         "Are you awake?" whispered a wee voice.
         Stifling a yawn and noting the rocking and rolling of the bus, she turned to stare at a pint-sized whisp of a girl grinning at her. The child clapped her hands. Sydney saluted and returned a smile.
         "This is my very firstest bus ride," giggled the bundle of energy. "I like the bumps the best."
          "Me too," agreed Sydney as her head hit the overhead luggage shelf.
         "I'm goin' to Granny's way far away."
         Scrawny legs kicked non-stop. Staticky hair vibrated with each swivel.
         "Where're you goin'?"
         "Who, me? I'm going home."
         The girl wrinkled her forehead. "You don't have a car? Yo' boyfrien' can't drive you?"
         Sydney shook her head and laughed.
         "I see you're not driving either. Why not?"
         " 'Cause I'm just little, silly. Hey, do ya want some candy?"
         After she nodded Sydney accepted a bag of jewel-toned jelly beans proffered across the aisle. Without looking she popped a handful into her mouth and began chewing. Out of the corner of her eye she noticed her new travel buddy mimic her every move.
         For a few minutes they savoured their treats in companionable silence.
         "What is your favorite color?"
         "Excuse me?"
         "A colour. Whaddya like? I like the orange ones."
         "Oh, I suppose I like the green ones best. Why do you ask?"
         "Well my dog knocked the green ones on the floor and he licked most of them before I scooped them back into this bag. Momma doesn't know."
         Sydney gagged and wondered if her face was turning a shade of green.
(275 words)
© Copyright 2024 SandraLynn Team Florent! (nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2313694-Green