*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317578-Clandestine-Services
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Comedy · #2317578
Let's get out of here! Daily Flash Fiction Challenge entry.

It was after-hours and there was nobody left in the office. Even the janitorial staff had finished their work and gone home for the night, which made it the perfect time to conduct a clandestine operation. I was in the executive conference room while my partner was working on gaining access to the CEO’s office.

“This is more complicated than I thought,” my partner called out.

“Just keep working at it!” I yelled back while I started unloading items from my backpack.

My partner was new to the whole “black ops” thing and needed a little encouragement on their first field mission. That’s why I agreed to partner up; this definitely wasn’t my first rodeo and I was more than happy to show a newbie the ropes so that our organization would have someone else they could tap for these special missions from time to time.

“I’m in!” my partner said. “Moving on to phase two.”

“Great. I’m setting up here.”

We worked in silence for a while. As I moved throughout the conference room installing everything I brought with me, I heard the intermittent aerosol hissing from the CEO’s office that let me know my partner had things well in hand.

Thirty minutes later, we finished up and cleaned up all evidence of our intrusion.

“Thanks for bringing me along,” my partner said.

“No problem,” I replied. “Now come on, let’s get out of here.”

We took a moment to admire our handiwork before we headed out. The balloons filling the CEO’s office, the streamers, party hats and noisemakers. All that was left was the catered food, the singing telegram, and the literal clown car set to show up first thing in the morning.

It would be a birthday he wouldn’t soon forget.


——————————

298 words

Written For: "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge

Prompt: Write a story that includes the line, "Let's get out of here!"
© Copyright 2024 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317578-Clandestine-Services