*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317893-Whats-Next--Chapter-one
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Writing · #2317893
Unedited, 2002 Characters Challenge ( R.L. Stine Challenge ) Write 2000 words daily
Trigger Warning : Blood , Death and Bad Grammar.

The place was dark and dim just like the other nights from before. The home was dark and the only sound was coming from an old refrigerator.in the corner of the room. I was told that my folks would be here before it had gotten dark and that my brother would return soon. OF course that was right before this incident of course. Now I wait under the stairs, trying not to make a sound. Hoping that old refrigerator would give up its nose. I pressed my ear to the wall, the one that shared the outdoors. I wasn’t sure what I was expecting. A sound? I'm not sure. Maybe a familiar voice of my parents of some kind. But the walls were thick. I guess I am supposed to be thankful for that. At least those things won't hear me. I didn’t care, as long as they couldn’t come in.

As I sit in the closet I huddle against the wall partially covering myself with the mess that surrounds me. I don’t know why but the clutter made me feel safe. As I sat in darkness I heard something trying to open the door. At first it struggled then it came in with ease. At first I thought it was some beast from the news. Maybe a mad man of some kind. I was relieved that it was my older brother Johnathan. He seemed fanatic as he called my name. I stayed for a moment in my hiding place making sure it was him.

Soon enough I was out. “Is that you?” I asked shaken. He was standing in front of me. He seemed to be covered in blood. I shake my head not wanting to think about it. But he seemed relieved. He wipes the sweat on his brows as he just stares at me. I'm not sure if he is relieved or frightened that I'm still alive. Then again, He was never happy with me. I remained quiet. Hoping he would reply. Or at least talk to me, Hoping that he was real and not some crazy illusion of my dreams. Then again I was hoping this was just a nightmare.

He said “You're alive!” He said it in a way that was uneasy. As if he was surprised that I made it alone without him. He ran towards me. He hugged me. Covering me with the blood he had. He squeezed me tight. I never was the one to like to hug, But this I missed this. I hugged him back. Fearing if I let go he would disappear in the night or just fade away. He was the one who pulled away. “We need to go, I got a car waiting outside” he smiled as if his mission was completed and that there was a safe haven out there. At first I refused to not want to go. “No, I don’t want to.” i say. I wanted to pull him closer. I wanted to beg him to stay with me. To wait for mom and dad. He seemed disappointed, then a look of sadness. He spoke softly to me, As if I was still a small child. “No, We can't stay here. They are evacuating the town” HE constantly looked back out the door. Outside where it seemed some war was happening. “We will be safe” he tried to rescue me.

Still I refused to not go. “But mom and dad,” I say , hoping he would understand why I wanted to stay. Hoping that he would stay and wait for me. He pulled me out once more. I haven't been out since the event. It looked like war with blood and smoke. The sounds of gunshots from the distance. I panicked and pulled back. This seemed to frustrated him as I pulled back. I guess we took too long as the car that was waiting for us drove off. My brother let go of my arm and rushed back to the car. He screamed to the air “No wait” he yelled at the fleeing car. He rushed back at me. He seemed to be angry, worse than I have ever seen. He looked at me, his light hazel eyes seemed to pierce my soul. He looked at me as if I just commented some sort of sin. As if I committed some sort of crime. He rushes inside, closing the door and locking it behind.l As if the lock would do anything to protect us. He seemed panicked trying to figure out what to do next. “ We need to leave, “ he repeated. But he wasn’t telling me he was speaking to himself. He turns to look at me. “ Pack a bag or something.” he seemed angry. My eyes begin to water. My heart rose. I just nod and agree. I rushed upstairs to my room where I emptied my school bag. What exactly do I pack? Clothes? Medication? A tooth brush?

I packed some clothes and our toothbrushes and some medications. I went to my mothers closet and took out a box. I took out some money. Who knows if this will be useful. I ran back down where my brother was going through the drawers trying to find something. He seemed bothered. His hair is a mess. His clothing is still covered in blood. He didn’t even bother to clean up. As if the substance didn’t bother him. Or maybe he didn’t even notice. But he caught me staring. He looks up. “What? Did you pack?” I showed him my backpack and so he took it out of my hands.

“We need to walk there,” he says coldly. I knew he was frustrated by me. “We need to go quick, If not they will leave us” he says this time looking at his watch. I stood there watching him. Trying to figure out what was going on. All I knew was those things out there. Hell, I didn’t know exactly what they were. “Who will leave us? Where are we going?” with all the questions i wanted to ask these were the only two that came out. He didn’t reply, He just took my hand and dragged me outside.

Down the sidewalk we went, down the eerie path of the unknown. I walked blindly behind my brother. More so being dragged as I cry silently to myself. “Don’t look up, Look at my back” he orders me. I couldn’t help but look and when I did I saw the bodies on the floor. All life is less and not moving. Some I recognized , some I did not, Then again in this small town you recognize everyone by now.

The streets seemed empty which was strange since it sounded like panic not too long ago. Soon we got to our destination. Our old high school, a place of safety I suppose. The building was surrounded by police cars and school buses. It looked like it was evacuating. But it seemed so empty. “Are you sure it's here?’ I asked as I got close to him. Something was odd about this place. I'm sure he felt it too.

“Maybe we are late?” I asked, he didn’t reply, he just seemed to be looking over the building. I suppose trying to figure out where everyone went. “No, this is where they said they will be.” I still question who they are. But we didn't speak up. We moved into a nearby store. The old building was abandoned even before this shit had happened and it wasn’t a surprise that He knew a way inside. The building was dark and untouched. The windows were boarded up. The place looked scraped. I suppose it's safe for now.

Johnathan looked out through the broken boards. He seemed into what he was looking at. I tried to move closer but he told me to move back. Of course I didn't listen. I moved closer and watched through the cracks. I suppose He didn’t care if I looked or not. As we stayed in the darkness, we looked through the cracks of the broken window. We saw an older couple walking closer to the school. Unlike us, they went through the cars. They passed through the police cars and buses. Then gunshots. Gunshots were heard.

I don’t know about my brother but I froze. I froze as I watched the older couple fall to the ground. I'm sure they would have died, But when two men in white and two more soldiers wearing some sort of mask came out of the school. One had shot to the ground. I wined at the gunshot. Knowing that someone had just died in front of me. I looked away before these monsters had dragged them back into the school. I suppose waiting for someone else to get close.

We stayed quiet. Well i did, My brother on the other hand was talking to himself. Clearly he knew more than me. I watched as he talked to himself. He looked up as if he was talking to someone. I knew better to stay quiet. To be honest, I still didn’t know what was going on. All I knew was that there were crazy people roaming the streets. And now the street seemed to be dead. Well filled with dead people that is. As he was thinking I looked out the cracked window once more.

It seemed the people who were in the school are now leaving. But why? I told my brother this and he looked out of the window. He told me we had to go. So we did, We left through the back. At this point I didn't question anything. I just remained quiet as I watched the world burn around me.

How I wished it would stay like that. Not that I wanted to watch the wo\rld burn, but not knowing what caused it. I was followed by my brother into the darkness. We quickly went behind the buildings.l Making sure we weren't followed. We remained quiet as the sun outside slowly disappeared and the sky above went dark. It seemed this new environment scared me. Even though I knew the town like the back of my right hand. Yet it was eerie.

My brother stopped on his tracks, when he did I did the same. I looked out in front of us. There was a man standing. He had his back towards us. He seemed to be talking. No more like whispering to himself. The man seemed to be gripping onto some pip. He sued side to side as if he couldn’t keep balanced. “ Where are you Marry? '' he whispers. “Marry, come out!” He whispers under his breath. My brother moved me behind. Making sure I'm covered. As I moved back I accidentally moved a tin can, I panicked as my brother turned to look at me horrified. The man in front of us turned to look at us. He she seemed like a monster. His eyes are dark. And even in the dim light I knew this was unnatural. He seemed to be smiling. His mouth was bloody. Dripping with saliva or some clear liquid. He looked hungry with a mixture of pleasure and anger. Now thinking of it he looks deranged.

My brother got up at first and I thought he was leaving me. But he seemed to yell at the mad man. “Fuck you” he cries out as he yells. The beast runs past me and runs towards my brother. I remained in the darkness with the disbelief of what just happened. Did my brother just abandon me in the shadows of this unknown hell or did he actually planned to save me. Better yet would he come back to rescue me. If not, what the hell do I do next? I sit in the shadows with my back to a brick wall. Not knowing what to do next. Hell, I was safer in the downstairs closet.
© Copyright 2024 Remi_Dee (remidee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317893-Whats-Next--Chapter-one