*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/406409-A-Forever-Changed-America
Rated: E · Essay · Other · #406409
How the events of September 11th affected me.



?A Forever-Changed America?


I don?t think that any American will ever forget where they were at or what they were doing when they first learned what was going on in our nation on the morning of September 11, 2001. I was at work, where I place outbound calls to delinquent mortgage consumers. The phone systems completely went down, and a few moments later rumors began to spread throughout my office building of approximately 3,000 employees.
Since the office phones were not working, we all went outside. I immediately picked up my cell phone and tried relentlessly to reach the father of my boyfriend. My boyfriend was in Navy boot camp at the time of the attacks. Immediately, my thoughts were on him. I was instantly concerned, because I knew his life in the military was about to change drastically.
When I got home, I turned on the television. I saw the actual devastation that was going on in our nation. I realized how many people were missing their loved ones, and how many lives had been taken or shattered forever. I felt a pang of guilt for being so concerned about my boyfriend, as he was perfectly fine and safe. However, I believe all Americans have had their own concerns since September 11th, and they all hold equal importance.
On October 3, 2001, I boarded a plane to Chicago to attend my boyfriend?s graduation ceremony. The entire time I was on the plane, I was concerned for my own safety. When I saw him in his ?dress white? uniform, it hit me once again that his life will never be the same. He joined the Navy to gain experience and money for college. He didn?t realize at the time of his enlistment that America would soon be facing a war on terrorism.
I know no one in New York or in Washington. I have lived in Tampa, Florida for all of my 25 years. One could assume that I am lucky, because the attacks on America have yielded no direct devastation on my family or to any of my friends. The worst that has happened to me is that I am worried about my future with my military boyfriend and I lost $1500 from my 401-K plan. To a person who has lost a loved one, my problems after September 11th seem miniscule.
Life will never be the same for any human being in this country. We have now experienced firsthand the devastation of terrorism. Every American has been affected by these attacks in their own way. I believe our country is still in utter disbelief and shocked by what has happened. Just imagine how much our lives have changed. Now we cannot take eyelash curlers on an airplane, unless they are plastic. We might not like to admit it, but when we pass by a person of Muslim descent not all Americans look at them indifferently anymore. You cannot drive down the street without seeing at least one vehicle that has an American flag proudly displayed on its bumper. Everywhere we look, there are reminders of the devastation that has taken our country aback.
Our grandchildren will one day ask us about the events that are unfolding before our eyes. We will all surely be able to tell them exactly where we were when we realized what was happening. None of us will ever forget it. We are fortunate that we are alive to share our piece of history, as thousands of people are not with us today due to the tragic incidents.
I do not know what will become of my Navy boyfriend and myself. Prior to September 11th, we had planned that I would move and be with him when I graduated college in 2002. While we may like to dream that this can still happen, we both know that he will likely be overseas in dangerous environments for years to come. My trip to Chicago may very well have been the last time him and I will be in the same zip code ever again.
While this sits uneasily with me, I know he now has bigger and more important things to do. He is one of the millions of military personnel responsible for defending America against terrorists and protecting our rights to freedom. At his graduation ceremony, chants of ?Bravo, Zulu? could be heard throughout the naval base. This phrase means ?Congratulations, Sailor?. I believe this phrase has more importance now than it ever has before. This was one of the first graduation ceremonies immediately following the attacks. ?Zulu?, or sailor, has taken on a whole new meaning now. To the many members of the United States Armed Forces, their job has reached a pinnacle of importance that most of them never considered. As for us ?civilian? Americans, we are supporting their bravery and efforts one hundred percent.

© Copyright 2002 Pretty Hate Machine (starr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/406409-A-Forever-Changed-America