*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/500524-Days-Gone-By
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #500524
Poem of my days of being a youth and the fun we had.
In the days of my youth, things were less hectic.
And being less hectic, they were simple, yet demanding upon my brothers and me.
Winter snows woudl come where my older brother and I would roll up our pants legs to our knees and go out to feed the animals while the cow who gave the milk would follow next.
Having done our morning chores, we have breakfast put on our socks and shoes, going off to school afterward.
Returning from school, we had evening chores and a time for hunting.
At night time, the kerosene latern was used to do our homework by it.
Homework done, we would have a little time to play before bedtime.
A fond memory among many were the evening's entertainment, no, not tv, but the radio was on. I remember how our dad would rock in his chair listening to country music.
Saw many times he would have his eyes closed taking it all in never missing a note or word.
Mother was busy in the kitchen doing the other things we guys didn't like to do.
At Christmas time, we had a small tree with popcorn garland, paper used as tinsel, not forgeting the candles that were prominent in the tree.
The hunting we did was always for food never just to see an animal die.
Having found our choice for a quick bite, Silas, my older brother and I would find two sticks.
Widdle an opening on them and sticking them in the ground.
The other stick we found was used to poke through the game we were going to cook.
Sometimes there was enough for Mom and Dad to get after we got home, not to mention our eldest brother, James.
All said and done, our days of youth were without complications, simple and the happiest days to remember now in my later years.
© Copyright 2002 Silverindian (silverindian at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/500524-Days-Gone-By