*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/504316-Money-Isnt-Everything
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #504316
A story of two how left all for nothing.
Having left a beautiful home, Charlotte and I found ourselves in the desert of Arizona. A log cabin was our new home not to mention the spacious land all around. Going out in back, I was kicking some little pebbles in front of the huge boulder. Seeing that some of the tiny pebbles shined I gathered them up. Taking them to town, some thirty miles away, I found the assessor's office. Agreed to check on their validity, I waited for the report. The assessor was amazed for all the pebbles were indeed gold. He inquired as to whether I would accept a government agent to come out there to my new home and see the place where the pebbles were found. I told him to send one out there. In a fewe days, the government agent came. Finding the mother load as it were better or bigger than the Comstock Load, he was ready to talk. He wanted to know if I wanted a mansion on the sight of the log cabin. I refused. Leaving the wealth behind us, we wanted to live a simple, uncomplicated life free of money concerns. Walked back into the same for gold was now mounting from the hole in the boulder. Offered a mansion, as I said, we gave to charities all sorts of them. Remaining was our own nest egg, so to speak, enhanced now by the gold that remained left to us from the government. Knowing all the time we had something better that money wasn't able to buy was our freedom from pressure and the city life.
© Copyright 2002 Silverindian (silverindian at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/504316-Money-Isnt-Everything