*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/587886-More-Than-Half-Full
Rated: ASR · Essay · Contest · #587886
Written for Dreams "How to keep seeing the glass half full" contest!

MORE THAN HALF FULL

Upon looking at the glass, I always see it as more than half full. There are so many things that are good in this world, if we just look around us. Depression is a killer, and I chose not to go there anymore.

The greatest trick I've found in conquering depression is to do something for myself first.
Once you take care of YOU, you will be able to take care of others. That's the next trick - go out and look for others that need a bit of cheer, a helping hand, a smile and a hug.

In taking care of me, I start to feel better about myself and my life. A hot bath and a new hairdo, a makeover to the kind of person I'd like to be seen as, all fit the bill. Money may be tight, but there is much you can do without money.
Take a walk, watch the sunset (or rise), get outdoors and dig into the earth, plant flowers.
The seeds you sow toward making the world a better place gives you back self-esteem.

Read a good book, lose yourself for awhile. It's okay to feel down, but you don't have to stay down! Grab a piece of paper and list the pros and cons of your existence! You'll usually find that the good outweighs the bad. Take a look at your con side, what can you do about the things that bring you down? You may chose to walk away, to face the problems head-on, or sleep for a week.
Whatever you decide, it's all a part of the healing process. Be with it, lean into it and be ready to let the pain go.

There is always someone who is in the same boat.
Or worse, no boat at all. Look around you and listen to what people are saying. Do you sense lonliness, despair? Give a smile if nothing else.
A hug sometimes works wonders. It's a great way of saying "I understand, and I care".

I saw a great little sign once that said "Let Go and Let God". There will always be things we can not change. Learn to live with what we can do.

Writing about our feelings is a tremendous release, one that I have found to be healing.
Emotions on paper are out there where you can look at them, and perhaps in time understand them.

Don't dwell on the past. It is over, done, gone.
We are each given TODAY, and a hope for a tomorrow. A better tomorrow will come if you open your heart and let it.

As I write, my dog Stormy is lying on the bed snoring. Utter peace. We could learn a lot from our pets. By the way, having a pet to love and care for is another great remedy for the blues.

Remember to laugh. It may take awhile to get up speed with a real bellylaugh, but it will come.
Look for the laughter.

I will be sixty-seven in May, and there has been much in my life that I would rather not have happened. Yet, there is a beauty in knowing that the glass is more than half full. I count my blessings. I love my friends.

It works for me.

Countrymom
12/14/02


© Copyright 2002 COUNTRYMOM-JUST REMEMBER ME (countrymom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/587886-More-Than-Half-Full