*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/660289-Woodland-Encounter
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Adult · #660289
An encounter in the woods. Honorable Mention in Separate Worlds Contest for August 2012
Woodland Encounter

by D.A.Ludwig



I saw her standing in the shadow of the ancient moss covered tree. 'Who is she', I thought as I tried to see without looking straight at her. If she knew I saw her she may have fled. Therefore, I cupped my hand into the miniature fall and took a drink of the icy water on the way to a far sea. She blended so well with the dark mottling of browns and green. Her short cropped hair was darker than the bark, but not by much. She wore dark tanned leather and wool but all earth tones and it was difficult to see where she ended and the tree and ground began. She also stood behind a slight rise which hid everything below her knees.

I again dipped my hand pretending to drink the water in the rushing creek. Alas, when I looked up she was gone. I stood slowly, stretched and looked directly where she had been. I stepped forward, wishing her back, but there was no sign of her. I walked slowly to the mound and looked around the tree. I gasped and stiffened, daring not to move. She was there waiting for me.

Her dagger point pricked my tender under-throat and I didn't dare breathe. I needed to swallow but restrained the urge. She held out her other hand and smiled as she pointed to the small purse at my belt. I groaned my disappointment. 'Is she merely a thief then, and now I pay for my curiosity?' She smiled and nodded as if she'd heard my thoughts; but then, my disappointment and humility must have been etched plainly on my face.

Slowly, because I was denied the movement to turn my head down to see, I loosened the cord around the small leather pouch at my belt. She nodded in agreement and her smile broadened. Even in this compromising position my breath escaped me. She could stop the world from turning with that same grin; surely, she stopped my heart. She wasn't an absolute beauty to look upon; yet, I could not take my gaze from her deep violet eyes. She wasn't all human; and maybe, that was what ensnared me. I didn't smile nor was I able to relax within her raptured spell binding. I felt the sharp pushing of the tip of her dagger as my gaze was forced skyward.

Above in the huge old tree, I noticed a scarlet song bird who curiously looked down and laughed at this scene. I felt the heat in my face as I realized there was a witness to my distress. Then a sound tug at my belt and the weight of twenty coins disappeared from my hip.

The point of the knife at my throat was gone; but, the phantom bite upon my flesh still persisted. It was the faint rustle of the bush to my left that made me realize she no longer stood before me. I lowered my gaze and looked around; there was nothing but bush and tree to see. She was wondrous to behold and very talented with her snare. I think twenty gold was worth the price of my experience here.

The bird's raucous laughter told the forest of the fool he'd found, while I sat shakily on the mound of damp ground by the ancient moss covered tree. My left hand rubbed the indentation where her knife point had threatened to blood me. There wasn't even a scratch there in the soft place between my chin and adam's apple. But it would be a long time before I forgot that threatening prick she could have given me.

I shook my head and I laughed out, shouting at the scarlet bird above me, "But God Almighty she was a beauty, wasn't she?"

© Copyright 2003 DyrHearte writes (dyrhearte at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/660289-Woodland-Encounter