*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/918342-The-Illusion-Dubbed-Life
by Rahl
Rated: E · Essay · Philosophy · #918342
So, you wanted to know the meaning of life?
         Lies. In my long search for a common theme or hidden meaning present in life, and in existence, I was certain that the answer would be beautiful. I was sure that the answer would hold an aesthetic and abstract simplicity, but would still create wonderment. But I was wrong. I stumbled across this ugly realization in a most unexpected way. It was not pleasant. The idea was not slowly brought into focus. It crashed on me with a staggering force that shook my foundation, that rattled my existence. I knew, in that moment, that Life was filled with beauty, and yet all we could do was defile it! I have the answer, good friend. I know the meaning: Lies. Lies and ignorance. Yes, that's right, the hidden meaning (guess it wasn't hidden very well) is what we all expected it to be: a paradox. It is a paradox simply because its very existence is also a lie, and yet lies are the meaning as well. Don't ask me what perverse, divine mind thought of that, but if you happen to know the answer then I'd like to have a word with him.

         I wonder, even now, as to what my reasoning was in writing this, for I know it will be thrown away in ignorance. A great man once wrote, "People are stupid, they believe anything they want to be true, or fear to be true."(Terry Goodkind) And so I know that as soon as you read this, you shall dislike it and discard it, for you will think it is a lie. Though I'm sure you would be right in that sense. That's all life is, really, lies and deceit. A colossal phantasmagorical twisting of the truth, as it were. It is a giant pool of selfishness and greed. And so I write this now, with hopes that some may see the light. Hopes that some will see that all may be well.

         Realization stabbed me in the form of a fall. It was a very odd thing, for I simply "bonked" my head on a countertop, and something hit me; that is to say, something other than the countertop. For I remembered many things at once; I remembered make-up, plastic surgery, rumors, media, fake smiles, adultery... lies, all being done without a second thought. All of them being performed as naturally as brushing one's teeth. And it was that natural, for it was practiced daily. We even lied to ourselves. It was then that I knew of mankind's adamant ignorance regarding the comprehension of our defilement of existence. Most of all, I realized that we all did it, every one of us. Everyone hid from everyone else. No one was free. We bound ourselves with our own bonds, we trapped ourselves with our own cage. But I also knew one other thing: we deserved it.


         Now, I'd like to take a moment to predict your reaction thus far, for they are invariably as follows: I havent't lied, I'm not hiding, and I'm happy. Think about these things individually. Truly look into yourselves, and do not decieve yourselves; are these statements true? If any of them truly are, then I envy you. I envy you with every fiber of my being, for you are truly lucky. You are of the enlightened. Never stray from that path.


         As for the rest of you, I say only two things. First, God once said, "I am that I am." And so are you, and so you must be. Be who you are, not someone else. Let all see you as you truly exist. Let no one hear a lie pass your lips, for that is true beauty. Honesty is the only trait you must have to be beautiful. No matter how much make-up you put on, or how many plastic surgeries you have, you will never exceed the beauty of truth.

         Secondly, I must give you a diagnosis explaining your reluctance to unveil the true beautiful being that is inside you- raw, naked fear. My advice: use it. Fear is a tool, so use it to help you. Twist its purpose towards your own. In example, let us assume that you are afraid to tell the truth because you are dreading the possible outcomes. Use the fear to give you a reason. "I will tell the truth to defy my fear. I acknowledge its existence, but it shall not be my soverign." Terry Goodkind wrote one other thing I'd like to share with you: "The only soverign you can allow to rule you is reason." So let reason guide you. Let reason give you the strength to stand up to fear. Tell yoursel, "Fear is weak." Laugh at the taunting chill of its power. Destroy it. Become it.

         Remember, my good friends, my dear illusionists, Life is what we wish for it to be, perception becomes reality. Lies become truths. Let us not live in vain, let us relish in the beauty of the ambience around us, of the beauty inside us. Let us live. Let us live in truth.
© Copyright 2004 Rahl (dylan92 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/918342-The-Illusion-Dubbed-Life