*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/982342-A-Complacent-Husband
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Emotional · #982342
HE THOUGHT IT TOOK SO LITTLE TO MAKE HER SMILE
The luxury car moves swiftly through the night, with little to record its passing except for the steady click of the tires counting the breaks in the long highway. Relaxing music flows from the speakers as the driver’s thoughts drift away to her, waiting at home for him to return.

Just fifty more miles behind him and he would be home. He did worry about her being home alone so much when he was called away on business. But he was thankful for the fact that she did not seem to get upset with him, as the job seemed to take him away more and more these days. He assumed she had just gotten used to him being away over the years; and she seemed to have adjusted her life to fill the gap in his absence with family and friends.

He even thought she had been happier as of late, especially with her newfound ability to text message with family and close friends .The messages sent back and forth with daily chatter seem to always bring her a smile. On occasion, he had wondered if she might even be seeing another man. But the thoughts were fleeting. She was much too reserved and focused on the home and family activities.

At home she went about getting ready for his arrival, she always liked the house to be neat and clean when he returned. In the past she might have set dinner on the table with soft candlelight to welcome him home. But that was in the early years before the little wedges of life had been driven between them.

She hurriedly looks the house over as she had been caught a little off guard with his earlier than expected arrival.

In the bedroom everything is in its usual place. .She steps into the bathroom to check her hair and with a little smile likes what she sees. The mirror reflects a sparkle in her eyes that she feels looks good on her. Walking back through the bedroom she dismisses the sudden pleasant tingle that moved over her.



His car rolled on through the night bringing him closer to home with each mile-counting click of the tires. Tonight traffic had been light; he would hopefully make the trip a little ahead of schedule.

As always when he was getting close, the familiar tension would creep over him. This would cause him to wonder if he had forgotten something in his pocket or one of his travel bags; worst case, she would detect the smell of another woman the shower had failed to erase. The feeling would stay with him although he had never raised suspicion or been questioned of anything in the past.

His thoughts traveled back to the one he had just left. He would call to hear her voice and let her know he had made the trip home safe and sound. He would miss her for sure, but as always he would be back to her again soon.

He can see the house now. He knows she, as always, will meet him at the door with a kiss and a welcome smile. As he had assumed; she was there as usual waiting for his arrival with a pleasant smile and a helpful hand with his luggage.

She was so predictable. How could anyone be so routine day in and day out? He shook his head in wonder at the thoughts. They were bringing in the last bit of luggage when her phone signaled she had received a message. When she answered there was that same predictable smile. He decided it just did not seem to take much to make her happy.

Again he shook his head in wonder at the simplicity of her ways...

As his thoughts turned away to other things there was another man rolling through the night just as he had done a bit earlier.

The slight press of his boot to the accelerator sent the cowboy’s pickup truck moving swiftly through the night, with little to record its passing except the steady click of the tires counting the breaks in the long highway.

Relaxing music flows from the speakers inside as the driver’s thoughts drift away to her waiting at home.

His thoughts were broken when he moved forward to adjust the volume of the radio. The movement caused him to be painfully but pleasantly reminded of the sting of the passion scratches marking the length of his back. With the volume set, he leaned back again finding a comfortable position that would not irritate the marks on his back.

With the road in the headlights, his thoughts turned back to her waiting at home. He had just recently left her, but could still feel her hungry desire within him, and the reminder she left on his back.

He hoped she had been able to read the message he had sent just a bit earlier, asking her to please smooth out her nails before her husband left town again...and he hoped the sent words made her smile...

She smiled at the words he had sent, causing her thoughts to wonder briefly about the close call she had just had...but she had hurriedly changed the sheets and brought the house in order just in time.

So now as they enter the bedroom she has no concerns. He will have no way of knowing just a short time ago she was closely wrapped in another man’s arms with her body trembling with passion at the touch of him. She could still feel the presence of him inside her as she climbed into bed.






© Copyright 2005 The Cowboy (easyword at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/982342-A-Complacent-Husband