*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/985233-Circle-of-Thorns---Chapter-3
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #985233
Had she slipped back in time or was it a dream or something more evil...
CHAPTER 3

Faith followed Charles, her hand in his as they made their way through the corridors. She wanted to protest about going back to the room, but it was too late. She began running to keep up with his long stride. Out of breath, she stopped outside the door, waiting for him to opened it. In the room Charles stood eyeing everything, sizing up where the papers could be hidden. Charles began to search through all the drawers of the dresser, then the wardrobe, tossing things everywhere. Then he stopped and looked around the room once again noticing one of the tapestries was pushed to one side. Walking over he pushed it away, finding a small ledge. On it sat a wooden box. Pulling it down he set it on the dresser and opened it.

“Just as I thought. My papers and my purse.” He turned and looked at Faith. “Well, I will be on my way now. I thank you for getting me out of the cell and all, but I’m not going to play your games, princess.” Turning he headed for the window.

“Please,” she called out to him, “please believe me!” Her voice full of desperation, “Everything is so mixed up. Maybe I am crazy, maybe this is just one lousy nightmare, but whatever it is I can’t stay here. I can’t!” She stared at Charles. “Please take me with you! Once Amy and the guard are found, it won’t matter who they think I am, for Gods sake….” Tears seeped from her eyes as she stood there pleading.

Faith was near hysteria. The enormity of what she had done by helping this man out of the dungeons hit her. If he left her behind she would be held answerable for letting him go. Amy would tell the King everything she had done with no escaping the consequences. Charles stopped, looking at her noting the expression on her face.

“You would leave me here?” she said in a near whisper, “To face the King?” The fear she was feeling showing. Faith walked towards him, “You can’t …” She grabbed hold of him in desperation, staring up at him, “Take me with you, “ she whispered. “Take me with you! Please…”

The tension that had built up between then was ignited by his closeness. She felt his arms wrap around her as he pulled her to him kissing her at first with gentleness, then with a burning hunger she found herself matching.

Pulling away she looked at him, "I, I…"

With a ragged breath Charles rested his hands on her shoulder. "Don't say anything," he said softly. "Your kiss told me all I need to know for now and that is, you …” There was a noise outside the door. Amy's voice could be heard saying, "She’s took off with that man, sir. It wasn't my fault, your majesty."

"Quickly, " Charles said as he pushed her through the open window. "Climb down the lattice and wait for me at the bottom."

Faith didn't hesitate. Slipping out the window as she found her footing she made it to the ground below. She watched as Charles tossed a cloak out the window and then was soon at her side. Grabbing her hand he led her along the side the castle then out into the busy street. They made their way through the shadows of unlit alleys. Not once did she utter a word.

Finally, out of breath, they stopped. He had found a quick way out of the castle’s surrounding walls that brought them near a lake. Faith could hear the water lapping up against the banks as she made out the shape of a small boat tied to a tree that leaned out into the water.

~~~

Amy had let Charles lead her back to the cell where he had gently pushed her inside. She could have continued kicking and even screamed but she was more concerned about Tuck. Seeing him lying on the cot in the cell brought tears to her eyes.

She stared at the retreating backs of Charles and Faith. “The King will deal with them.” It was close to the time the next guard would be coming down to relieve Tuck, so Amy just sat and waited.

Soon old Tom came down the hallway checking the cells mumbling aloud, “Wonder where Tuck has gotten off to now?”

“Over here Tom,” Amy shouted. “Tuck’s been knocked out and I’ve been locked in with him. The prisoner got away.” She didn’t say anything about Faith. She needed to get to the King and fast.

“Good gracious Amy, what’s going on here?” Old Tom hurried over to the cell door and unlocked it. “Here! I’ll take care of Tuck, you best go warn the King. He is not going to be happy. He just left orders that we were to watch this guy closely and let no one near him. He’ll be wanting our heads for sure!”

Amy’s face blanched at Tom’s words. She had brought the princess down here. Now she and the prisoner were gone. She hurried up the steps making her way to the library where the King could be heard talking rather loudly to someone.

~~~

“I don’t give a damn, what you say Rumsey. We need the land to the west also…”. The King stopped in mid sentence when he heard tapping on the door. “Enter,” he shouted.

Amy timidly opened the door and walked in, eyes cast down.

“What is it Amy? I thought I told you to stay with Grace. What are you doing here?”

“Your Highness, “Amy paused and took a deep breath, “Your Highness, the princess and the prisoner are gone.” Fear entered her voice as she looked up at the King, “It’s my fault sir.”

“What nonsense are you talking about Amy?” The King’s face was red with anger.

“The princess had me take her down to the cell where the prisoner was sir. She got him out of there and they’re gone.”

The King’s voice rose in anger, “Get out of here, now!” Turning he looked at Rumsey who had remained quiet, “Get ready to leave. I’ll get the guards out searching for them. Damn, we can’t have this happen now.”

Without a word Rumsey disappeared out the door behind the bookcase as the King stepped out into the hallway calling for his guards. “Damn nonsense!” he stormed.

~~~

"Wait here while I make sure that everything is secure." Charles had left her in the shadows of an old tree. She could see him as he checked out the boat. He waved for her to come and she made her way to him, "It's an old boat," he said, "but dry. Climb in and we’ll be on our way."

There was no hesitation on her part as she heard the galloping of hooves coming from the castle. It hadn’t taken the guards long to figured that Charles had left the city and was making his way to the lake. She climbed in, getting into the back as he took one of the oars, pushing the boat away from the shore. He stayed in the shadows, letting the boat drift with the tide, only directing it with one of the oars. Silently they slipped away as the King’s men galloped by, never seeing the dark form floating past.

Faith was never sure how long they hovered near the shore as they made their way with the current. She relaxed enough to fall asleep curled up on the seat of the boat. The peaceful sound of the water hitting the side of the boat only lulled her into a deeper sleep and time slipped by.

Waking with a start when Charles gently shook her shoulder, her eyes flew open adjusting to the dark shadows about her.

"Wake up, we need to go inland now. Take a moment and freshen yourself up. I'll be waiting over by the large maple tree.” She looked to where he was pointing then stepped ashore and found a private spot to freshen up. A little bit later she came out and made her way to the tree.

"Thank you," she said as she studied their surroundings.

"Princess…." Faith stopped him before he could continue by placing her finger to his lips.

"No, not princess. It’s Faith…Faith Drummond. That is my name. Call me Faith. Please…"

Smiling at her, he reached out pushing the hair from her temple looking at the mole that was there. "I just may have to believe you. Come, we have a bit of a journey ahead of us and we need to find some horses. You can ride a horse can't you?"

The feel of his touch shot waves of fire through her. Faith looked at him with consternation written all over her face as the heated thoughts were replaced with, Ride a horse? You've got to be kidding! I didn't even drive a car when I was home. Aloud she responded, "Oh, sure, no problem. Where are we going to find these animals?" There was nothing in sight for miles except for the road ahead and behind them. Going backward would take them to the castle, she was sure of that, but going ahead only led into a forest covered in shadows. There was nothing to do but to follow him.

It seemed like hours since he had mentioned that they would be riding horses when finally several small buildings appeared, one looked to be an old tavern and the other two were questionable.

"Stick close to me and don't say a word." Taking her hand they entered in to the tavern. There were a few candles burning on the tables and there was a fire burning in the large fireplace. That was it for lighting. She saw the barkeep behind the counter and a couple of young women who looked like they could have used a bath and some grooming mingling with those inside. Charles headed straight to the counter and in a polite voice asked, "Would know of any horses for sale around here?"

The barkeep looked at him and walked to the other end of the counter without a response. Shaking his head, Charles calmly walked down to end of the counter asking again if the barkeep knew of any horses for sale. The barkeep was just about to walk back the other way when Charles reached out and grabbed the man by the neck.

"I asked you a question and I asked it politely, now I expect an answer."

The barkeep sputtered and tried to pull away, but Charles had a firm grip on him that got tighter. "Horses?" I have only one horse that I can sell ya. Let me go and I'll take you out back and show you. Dang it all," he said as he rubbed his neck, "you didn't have to manhandle me. I can't hear that well, that's all."

"Well, you could have fooled me," Charles responded as he took Faith's hand and they followed the barkeep out a side door. There was a small barn that appeared to be used by a blacksmith also. Over to one side of the barn were a few stalls. The barkeep pointed to a gray speckled horse, "You can have that one for a few gold coins. I don't have the means of keeping it here with the rest."

Charles walked up to the horse and looked it over from mouth to flank. Faith looked about and noticed that there were only two other horses there and that the owner probably needed them to get to and from the town.

"She's not a bad mare. We'll take her." He handed the man some gold coins, then slipping a few more in his hand, "And these are for that saddle over there.”

Faith had remained silent during the transaction. She was just happy that she would not have to ride a horse by herself. With the horse saddled Charles reached down pulling her up in front of him. "We can only hope that no one comes this way, I don't think he will be keeping his mouth shut for long, gold or no gold." With a slap of the reins, they were off.

Faith wasn't sure how long they traveled. She sat leaning against Charles, watching as the countryside changed. "Where are we going?" She asked, her head resting against his chest.

“My home, it's not far now. We will not be sleeping on the ground this night." he replied. "My home should be just around this bend."

Faith turned and kept watch as they came to a clearing then back into a forest of trees. Then as they traveled further Charles had the horse veered off to the left on a well-defined road. She could see a large rock wall and a gate as they got closer. She watched as Charles called out a greeting to a guard that caused the gate to open. Charles guided the horse in and toward a small fortress. It could have been called a castle. It wasn't as large as the one they had just left, but it was still a castle.

Faith was wide-eyed as she watched all the people run out to greet Charles. "Your Highness! We’ve been waiting for you. Your Highness you’re back earlier than you said you would be. Your Highness what have you there?" were just some of the questions she heard as they stopped by the main house. Charles slipped off the horse then lifted her down. Pulling the shawl around her she became self-conscious. They had been calling Charles, “Your Highness.” Just who was Charles? Had she walked into another situation that she would be regretting?

"This way Gra… Faith," he said as he led her up the stairway to the doors of the castle.

Once inside, she stopped and put her hand on his arm and nervously asked, "Charles? Why are they calling you ‘Your Highness’?"

Charles looked down at her answering with a hint of laughter, "I'll answer your questions later. First we both need to freshen up. It's been a long day and a long ride." He motioned to one of the ladies that stood to the side. She hurried towards Charles who asked that she take Faith to one of the guest rooms and to make sure that hot water was brought for a bath. Then looking at her, he smiled. "Hmm, you're about my sister's size." Turning back to the woman “Provide her with some clothing from one of the guest rooms.”

Faith let herself be led away by the young woman. Stopping on the first floor she was lead to a room that done in rich velvet tapestries. Faith’s breath was taken away, the princess’s bedroom had been lavish, but this … she was speechless. "This must be the wrong room, " she finally said to the young woman.

"No, this is the room, His Highness wanted for you. Now, if you check the closets over there, there will be some day dresses to choose from. Can I help you with your bath?"

Faith shook her head, "Oh, no, I can take care of myself, " she stammered. "Please, don't worry." The woman frowned then pointed to a secluded area in the room, "Behind that curtain a bath has been drawn for you. Since you wish to care for yourself, I will be back shortly to take you back downstairs. You will be hungry and so will his highness." The woman turned, gave Faith a slight curtsey and was gone.

Faith walked the length of the room and peered into the closet finding several dresses to choose from, the she walked over to the curtained area and saw a large tub full of steaming water. Looking at her clothing she saw what Charles had meant by their needing to clean up. Realizing that she was wasting time she slipped out of her clothing and let it drop to the floor. Gingerly she stepped into the tub and then lathered herself down. It felt so good after all that had happened. She lay there for a few minutes and then rinsed herself off.

Wrapping a towel around her and went over to the closet. "Well," she said to herself, "there's nothing for me to do but put one of these on before that woman shows up." The fabric of the dresses spoke of elegance. Where she came from she would never had worn anything so delicate as the dresses hanging there. She pulled out a light blue linen dress and slipped it on. Looking at the shoes that were in there and shook her head. She would keep the slippers she had been wearing. No one would know since the dress reached the floor.

She had just finished combing out her hair when she heard a knock on her door and the young woman once again entered. "His Highness is waiting for you. Please come with me."

Taking one more look in the mirror, Faith followed the woman out the door. Her mind was suddenly in turmoil. She had been able to get away from the awful situation that she had somehow ended up in but what was to happen now? She knew this was no dream, a nightmare maybe, but it was no dream. Something unexplainable had happened to cause her to go back in time. A real fantasy. There was no way she could explain this to Charles. She didn't even have a way of proving her she was.

They stopped in front of a door and a woman opened it. Charles was seated at a desk. Glancing up he motioned for her to come in. “I won’t be a moment. Mary, you can leave us, we will be in the dining room shortly."

Faith watched Charles as he finished his entries in the book that was before him. Then he got up and came toward her. "So you say your name is Faith Drummond? Well, Faith, not to worry. You are safe here. As for me, they call me Your Highness because my father is a King. We don’t have a lot of land or a lot of soldiers but we do own this island and the small ones that surround it.

“Island?” she stammered.

“Yes, island, Faith. Not many know of its existence, but nonetheless it is here,” he replied as he stood staring down at her. “I feel that I know you, in fact I feel that I have known you for a long time. Where do you come from Faith Drummond?”

Faith stared at him not knowing what she should say. The truth would only convince him that that she was crazy and a lie would be found out.

“I’m not from around here.” She responded, trying to avoid answering his question.

“I know that, but where exactly are you from?” he asked again.

Faith backed away from him, she wasn’t going to be able to answer him and she knew that. She looked at the shelves in the room, “You have a lot of books. Have you read them all? “ She walked over and touched the spines of the books wondering at their titles. Some appeared to be written in languages she had never seen.

He laughed. “You are avoiding my questions Faith. Why? I told you about me. And, yes, I have read all these books. Some have great stories in them. In fact they inspired me to write about my own history.” He gently took her elbow and led her over to the desk.

“Here take a look at this, I have started my story about finding a special woman. One who will love me for not who I am but for the person I am. I’ve called it Circle of Thorns. The insignia represents the family line and that it will be never ending.”

Faith stared at Charles with astonishment, “Circle of Thorns?” she repeated. “May I see?”

Faith looked down at the pages. Reaching for the book, she closed it for a moment and saw the circle of thorns on the cover, checking the spine she saw the title in gold. With prickles of fear she turned the pages and began to read. She had read this before. How could this be?

She heard Charles saying, “I thought you were a bit strange when I saw you in the princess’s room and hearing you say you were not her. I didn’t believe you at first. Then I noticed this mark on your temple. You looked like the princess except for this and,” he paused and smiled, “the way you kissed me.”

Faith stood looking at him, “The way I kissed you?” she said softly. She remembered that kiss. It really hadn’t been that long ago. She knew at that moment that she was falling in love with this man. Someone from a time period and place that she didn’t understand, but if asked she would stay and learn. Still touching the book she smiled at him only to see him slowly vanishing before her eyes.

“Charles! Charles...” he was gone.

~~~

Something was hurting her neck and she was cold. Opening her eyes she saw that the candles had burned down and the fire was almost out in the fireplace. She had been laying on the pillows but the book had somehow ended up under her head. She got up and staggered over the hem of her dress and reached for a log to put in the fire. Picking one up she put it in and then again tried to get up only to trip over the hem of her dress.

Looking down at her long blue dress, “What in the world… Where did these come from? How….” Then her eyes fell on the book and she went over and picked it up, “Charles…” she whispered. Looking down at the last entry, tears began to flow from her eyes.

I will never understand to my dying day what happened. I thought I had finally found my one true love only to see her vanish before my eyes. Faith, where have you gone?

______________________________

Now, I had originally ended my story here. But Drake Silverwing said that there was no way he was going to let me stop there. So, I bit the bullet and continued the story. And, if by some chance this one day gets published you will see what he had me do *g*


© Copyright 2005 Willow Silverwing (deewillow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/985233-Circle-of-Thorns---Chapter-3