*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/988876-Smokers-Rights
Rated: 13+ · Letter/Memo · Opinion · #988876
the smoking issue from an innocent bystander
          I have tried hard to understand the position of those arguing smoker's rights. Believe me, as the child of three-pack-a-day smokers, I watched the pleasure smoking gave my parents, and the problems they faced kicking the habit later in life.

         My brothers and I also experienced some of the problems of second-hand smoke. My asthma specialist states that cigarette smoking in the home is one of the worst things for asthmatics. My sensitivity to cigarette smoke (started at home in my childhood?) has progressed to the point that all I have to do today is walk past a smoker outdoors to face a major asthmatic reaction.

         So please, smokers, when talking about your personal rights, keep in mind that your second-hand smoke is as dangerous to the people around you, who may NOT have chosen to take that risk, as it is to you who have. You are willing to risk cancer, heart disease and respiratory disease. The victims of your second-hand smoke are not.

         Yes, I don't have to patronize restaurants that allow smoking (For instance, my kids can't eat in Pizza Hut when they earn their reading incentive Book-It pizza's, specifically because the cigarette smoke in there is so thick). But what about the rest of the public arena? I can't watch my kids' summer baseball games without having cigarette-induced asthma attacks each time, thanks to the smokers in the stands. My children & I have to run the cigarette smoke gauntlet at the entryway of every hospital, office, store, mall, etc. because of all the smokers finishing one up before they go inside. My asthma was triggered by cigarette smoke from the car next to me at an intersection the other day- was I supposed to keep the windows of my un-air-conditioned car closed in 100 degree heat so you could exercise your "right?

         Who should be segregated away from society? Those who irresponsibly endanger others or those who want to avoid proven risks?

         This situation is analogous to restrictions we all accept on drinking & driving. You have the right to endanger yourself. You do not have the right to endanger others. I maintain that you should not have the right to inflict second hand smoke on others. Public smoking should be banned. Smoking should be restricted to licensed smoking establishments that do not share air with nonsmoking areas.

© Copyright 2005 Lobelia is truly blessed (mamahobbit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/988876-Smokers-Rights