*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/996493-THE-BOTTOM-LINE
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Educational · #996493
An attempt at creating a foundation of reality. Values which=life.
Wealth, is it the money received for goods and services? Money is a made up medium of exchange to expedite commercial transactions. Let us characterize this monumental occurrence.

Nofala was a barrel maker and this enterprise was his way of feeding his family.This was an honorable profession in which he had great pride and dedication. Generally, Nofala would have his barrels ready early in the season, this allowed him to trade his barrels easily for the food he needed for his family. However, occasionally problems acquiring the supplies, necessary for barrel making, would cause him to run late in completing his labors. This would mean he entered a market already supplied with barrels. On these occasions it would be very difficult to trade for adequate food for the coming year.

After time a system began to develop based on money. This money concept was not new. Rather it is traceable to the earliest of time, a time where the commodity of highest value, for survival became the medium of exchange or money. However, over time the complexity of life made definition of the most valued commodity clouded.

This necessitated a new definition of money and rarity became the watch word. This finally became cemented in precious metals of semi rare existence. Gems, while representing great wealth never cemented the foundation of money as they were held for generations within families.

What did this mean to Nofala? Of it self nothing without the most important ingredient of all, TRUST, BELIEF, FAITH whatever its name it was vital. You must picture a man giving his families life into another’s hand by exchanging his production for a commodity he could not eat. This took the above ingredient to the nth degree. Nofala must totally believe when he makes this exchange that the supplier of food will accept this money in exchange for the Nofala family survival requirements of food, clothing, etc…

Money then was a made up medium of exchange representing a man’s labor. Regardless of the complexity of the financial dealings of today this bottom line fact has not changed. Oh yes, they try to spin, glamorize and confuse talking about ability to produce, trade, etc. but study and reason will verify all of this is a factor of labor.

Chess, poker, football, baseball soccer all games pale to the game created by the establishment of money. For before this event the control of all the resources, while pursued, was impossible. For the constant discovery of new supplies were seemingly endless (Not). However, with the acceptance of money a perceived possibility emerged. Corner the market, possess it all and the ultimate game began. At the time, true wealth was ignored and has suffered grievously in an on going assault on its ability to remain viable,all to serve the needs and rules of the game. This game has deteriorated, over time, to the point where rules and honor are ignored in pursuit of the goal. All hooks are baited with this insane pursuit, even our society has followed suit in this mad rush for self validation by possession. While I doubt this can be checked I must go on the record with the following scenarios, an odyesey into the reality of true wealth.

True wealth is the bottom line of survival of our species and remarkably is free and relatively endless (When nurtured). Let us view a slide show, where these two realities clash and then you decide. That’s the best I can do, for my battle, while related, shall be defined elsewhere.

Hey, how about before we begin, you take a break, get a snack and a drink, oh, and close the window--there is an air quality warning again today!!!

Allen Scarpos Smith Heinrich Olaff Leone Enrique the richest man in the world. Now as chance would have it he had just been rescued after being trapped for six months by a mine collapse. For ease of referral let’s call him Acronym I, (We love acronyms). Acronym I, had survived on a diet of slugs, lichen, beetles and dripping water. While this had allowed survival, Mister Acronym I was severally emaciated and very hungry. He was given the bad news by one of the rescuers, Jeeves his butler, while he was free of the cave the only way to get to civilization was to walk across the desert. Acronym I responded “I don’t care, I am free, lets eat” and he staggered
towards the table and chairs set up to serve them.

All were seated and Jeeves began serving them, rescued and rescuers. For the rescuers there was a hearty re-hydrated camp stew and for Acronym I a two pound porterhouse steak (rare), baked potato with sour cream and chives and a lightly steamed asparagus with hollandaise. Not totally unfair under the circumstances.

Whoops, I almost forgot fate, the cousin of chance, both vital to any gripping tale of adventure. Now, as fate would have it, before Acronym I could begin eating, one of the rescuers revealed himself to be, Bahia Unaro Tadeo Taylor Heinlich Etta Amadaeo Darios, the second richest man in the world. Acronym II was Acronym I’s (I guess this will work) partner. Acronym II had not eaten since breakfast and was very hungry. Seeing
Acronym I’s meal, he immediately leaped up and spread a sheet of canvas here he placed three piles, one each of diamonds, emeralds and gold. He then announced he would give these piles, worth one half billion dollars and his stew, to Acronym I for his meal.

Suspenseful music, dun ta dah da, dun ta dah da, dun ta dah da. Was a deal made? Was the great God of supply and demand assuaged? Tension-tension-tension, “Take your piles and shove them retorted Acronym I and imperiously consumed his grub.What? A new value system in emergence, for these scions? --Don’t fall for it, it is a red herring meant to make you relax in anticipation of a happy ending.

Shawalli Andongo Valawalla Inaskala Orobawa Rahma was the third rescuer and their guide for crossing the desert. Shawalli Andongo Valawalla
Inaskala Orobawa Rahma (Do I have to keep writing this out or have you got it already), was a desert dweller from the country of Robberia, South Africa. Robberia is a country owned and exploited by Acronyms I and II. This had come about during normal business machinations of graft, theft, cover-ups, misinformation and force. Anyway, as controllers of this nation, Acronyms I and II had always considered its population a valuable property. They placed
this property on a value scale only slightly lower than the shovels they were forced to use if they wanted to eat. Acronyms I and II knew it would be ridicules to beat a shovel for failing to dig up something valuable. However, it made perfect sense to beat the property that broke one of those failure to find shovels. After all that would be disrespecting property of a higher value.

S. A. V. I. O. R. wasn’t concerned with these posturing propensities, it was his job to lead everyone across the desert. To that goal he hoisted their water bag and took a sip, stating it was time to go. He offered the others a drink but only Jeeves deemed it appropriate to drink after a heathen, so taking a sip they began their trek.

Twenty four hours later, their lips cracked and tongues swollen, Acronyms I and II maintained their certainty of superiority; after all they
were half way to where ever they were going. Thirty six hours after their start, Acronyms I and II finally croaked to S. A. V. I. O. R water please. S. A. V. I. O. R. merely gave an enigmatic smile and replied, “In the desert when there is water one drinks, but now we have no water so we must go on without it”. They couldn’t be sure but there appeared to be a mischievous gleam in his eyes, maybe it was just the sun.

Forty eight hours after starting their journey they spied five tents pitched in the desert and S. A. V. I. O. R. announced their arrival. Acronyms I and II both croaked, “What the hell do you mean? This isn’t civilization”. S. A. V. I. O. R. smiled again and said “Oh yes sahibs for these are my relatives and here we will get water and camels, then in two days we shall be in a great city.” Acronyms I and II gave a great sigh of relief as they staggered towards the oasis.

“Wait Sahibs, you must let me bargain for what we need”. “Go ahead and bargain but we are going to drink”. “Oh no Sahib, not until I bargain”. “What the hell are you talking about; we are going to drink some water”. “That cannot be, for my relatives have owned this well since before the days of Moses and we must bargain for Camels and water or they will kill you”. “What do you mean kill us”? S. A. V. I. O. R. smiled and
replied, “They are my relatives, it would not
be proper to kill me.” In spite of their cracked lips and swollen tongues Acronyms I and II managed to croak, “Please bargain quickly, we must have water.”

Soon all parties were seated under a canopy where piles of cushions were placed for their comfort. For an hour the bargaining was hot and fierce. Then S. A. V. I. O. R. rose and came to his party, “Sahibs I have done the best I could and we have a deal. Your two Camels and two skins of water will be one half billion dollars apiece”.
Immediately, Acronym II’s hands flew to his back, where his piles had been stuffed--in a back pack. “Here” he croaked and threw the pack on the rug. “Give me water.” Acronym I croaked, “For God’s sake I don’t have a half billion dollars on me and I need water.” Oh, not to worry Sahib merely sign this first deed of trust for you holding in Robberia and you may drink.” Quickly Acronym I signed, noting it was due and payable in thirty days. Two skins of water were brought and both drank deeply. Sated, they exclaimed it was robbery and there should be a law.

To their astonishment the Chief replied in perfect English, “I am deeply hurt that you two of all people would not appreciate the perfection of this business deal.” “Business deals my ass”, retort the Acronyms. “Please, Sahibs let me
explain as I was taught at Oxford, where I received my Doctorate in Economics”. “All I did was meet a few basic rules of business.”

1. “Maximize profit for the investor. As my family and I are the owner/investors of these animals and well, it was my duty to maximize our profit.”

2. “Supply and demand: when supply is plentiful and demand is low,price is low. When supply is limited and demand is high, price is high. In this situation a monopoly existed which made supply controlled or limited. Demand was very high so price rose accordingly. You paid the price so you must have agreed value=cost, so all business rules were satisfied.”

“Alright, alright, but that does not change the fact we still need two more Camels and two more skins of water for our guide and Jeeves. There is no way we can pay the price you’re asking.” “Sahib, sahib I am well aware you both can easily afford the price, but the fact is my cousin and your servant have purchased their own camels and water.” “Wait a minute, there is no way that is possible, they are” - suspicion filled his eyes. “Just how much did you charge them for this supposed purchase?” “Why a very goodly sum, five thousand dinares for each man.” “Five thousand dinares that converts to five dollars U.S. I knew you are a thief.” “Sahib, this one time I will not kill you for that statement, for I am very embarrassed for your stupidity. Let me again attempt to educate you in the ways of business. Demand was high and you purchased one Camel and one skin of water, however, four people cannot ride one Camel nor survive on one skin. So demand was still high and you purchased a second Camel and skin. Now, it is perfectly possible that four people can ride two Camels and survive on two skins. Demand went to hell and it appeared we were past our peak selling period. We had excess inventory, and the cost of inventory is very high. I decided to reduce inventory with a clearance sale. I covered costs on the sale and saved storage,feed and also my government’s beast tax. There-fore, I realized a tidy profit in a down market. Now I believe our business is concluded and I do not like you so
please leave.”

Now readers I was going to write about Acronyms I and II getting carbon-monoxide poisoning and the cost of oxygen and a hypo-baric chamber but well if the switch isn't turned on by now,another light bulb won’t help. Ah-yes for those of you wondering the Chief’s son had a PHD in International Law from Harvard, the first deed was enforceable.

What’s my point? That is a good question and by golly deserves an answer. We have three essential ingredients, air, water and food--true wealth and basically they are free. Viewed in this light, it seems to me, these ingredients need be the focus of every bottom line calculation made by man. What I am saying is every personal or business decision made must include these three ingredients as the determining factor. If at any point of the formula it can be shown to have a negative impact on any of these ingredients--we don’t need it. For that impact unequivocally prices that decision out of consideration. Further it is imperative that hindsight be applied to correct the lax standards of our past. If measures cannot absolutely guarantee no negative impact, there is no alternative but to reject the proposal.

Consider the moment of death for the richest man in the world, if at that moment he offers all his wealth he still cannot buy one more second of life. If these three ingredients are sullied beyond repair not all the money on the face of the earth can save us. They are priority one and all else must serve their welfare.

In this view money is merely the game pieces of a complex and destructive contest. I do not say this game cannot be fun, however, as in all games the referees must enforce the rules and the rules must value these ingredients. Please reflect on this dissertation and marvel at how wealthy we truly are.

As formerly stated my battle will be fought on different fields so please note coming attractions: "Schizophrenic Rescue", a slam bang introduction to the concept which shall forever alter the world and provide peace and financial security for all. Think of this "Freedom is a two edged sword, one edge is political and the other is financial". "Humaneomics", the way it always should have been.
© Copyright 2005 K. I. Smet (k-i-smet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/996493-THE-BOTTOM-LINE