*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1544125-The-Call-of-Rlyeh
Rated: E · Fiction · Horror/Scary · #1544125
Intended for my Daughters, we read HP Lovecraft last night.
Now it was, being the Season of Lent, that a goodly amount of aquatic fauna was the staple of my family on most weekends. On one particular Saturday, being March 28, the many of the citizens of the Earth declared all electric lamps should be extinguished for the period of one hour. On the request of my beloved wife of many years we all sat comfortably in the family room and read some specific work of H.P. Lovecraft using the light of a paraffin candle during this period. After completing the work, we retired, and as is my wont and habit often I chose to view a work starring the actor Gregory Peck, with a brief appearance by another who goes by the name Orson Wells, based on an early American novel entitled “Moby Dick.” After viewing the work, I drifted into uneasy sleep disturbed by odd dreams of luminescent cephalopods and crustaceans. In one particularly disturbing vision I saw myself as a one-legged captain of a ship whose main purpose was to find and draw cuttlefish from their unknown worlds in the ocean's deeps to be consumed by those humans of Asian decent that consider these creatures as fine a dish as mankind has ever tasted. In this nocturnal hallucination I found myself obsessed with finding a solitary creature, a White Squid of no small intelligence or size who was named by those seafaring folk who feared it greatly “Kthooloo.” I found I had drafted a chart to the location in the South Pacific Ocean where this creature might be found at forty-seven degrees nine minutes south in Latitude, and one-hundred twenty-six degrees forty-three minutes west in Longitude. I woke and found it was well into morning, and attributed these strange visions to my recent diet, the book I read, or the work I viewed the day before.
I must tell you, I reside in a small borough in Pennsylvania that was named after a railroad man who went by Robert Pitcairn. It seems as if no small chain of events led me to this residence, almost as if the tempests of fate have driven me to this place. After my normal morning habit of coffee, I started my computer and ran an application provided by Google called Google Earth and designed to see what could be found at the aforementioned combination of Longitude and Latitude. As chance would have it, I found myself staring at unbroken ocean. As I increased the altitude of the image created, I found the closest charted land to be Pitcairn Island, named after the young midshipman Robert Pitcairn. I felt some compulsion, as if destiny has led me to this place, to visit these islands and sail south to the location indicated on my visionary chart. I do not know what drives me to this decision, only that I am driven.

To Be Continued…
© Copyright 2009 speters33w (speters33w at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1544125-The-Call-of-Rlyeh