*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1016418-Birthdays-and-more
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #2251487
Guided by prompts from WDC blogging challenges... and of course, life
#1016418 added August 31, 2021 at 11:09am
Restrictions: None
Birthdays and more
Here's to the end of August! Slowly, eventually, summer will be gone and Fall will appear with a burst of color and cooler weather. I, for one, cannot wait! I'm one of those persons who loves Fall. Not just because of the cooler weather and eye-pleasing scenery though. I love the smell of fall! That earthy decay scent that leaves and other dead plant material begin to take on when they've fallen to the ground, almost fungus-like in its odor. The hint of crispness that the cooler weather lends to the air that tickles the nose. And the feel of Fall, a slowing down of the natural world, finally ending the frenetic paces of spring and summer. It is me coming into my own. I belong in the Fall.

And now, on to today's BCOF prompt:

Day 3213: August 31, 2021
Prompt: The first thing I did when I turned 21 was _________. If you're not 21 yet: The first thing I will do when I am 21 is ________.


Thinking back on my twenty-first year of life I have to go through the fog of my poor memory. However, I do remember going to a restaurant/bar and ordering my first legal alcoholic beverage. My family joined me in celebrating, and we went to a bar in Waco, Texas called "Buzzard Billy's Armadillo Bar and Grillo". I love Cajun food and it was my day, so that is where we went. The gator etouffee was delicious. I ordered my family members each a drink of their choice and ordered what they called a Blur Hurricane for myself. What goes better with Cajun food than a drink reminiscent of Louisiana, right? Uh. No. That was my first taste of a fruity mixed beverage. The first in a long line of trying drinks so I could find the right one for me. What I learned later on was that I'm quite picky when it comes to alcoholic refreshment. I'm not big on those fruity, cloyingly sweet concoctions.
But back to my twenty-first birthday celebration, shall we? I remember the vibe of the place; how there were taxidermied critters everywhere. They had them hiding in the rafters and made a part of the lighting fixtures, on the wall like hunting trophies, everywhere. I was enamoured with a huge alligator on the wall opposite our table. It was so big and must have been extremely strong in life. Such a beautiful animal! I wanted to watch a creature like that in its natural habitat, survey the way it moved and reacted during life. And I suppose there was an inkling, even back then, that I'd be happier moving farther East in Texas and that one day, my life would be immersed in the nature I so love. But, that was my twenty-first birthday and it took a while for me to grow beyond those inklings. My birthday didn't include big parties or club hopping just a nice gathering of family. I was, after all, already a Mom and had responsibilities beyond my own welfare.



Just Jenn

girl with pencil

© Copyright 2021 LeJenD' (UN: lejendpoet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LeJenD' has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1016418-Birthdays-and-more