*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1029724-Northampton-Massachusetts
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#1029724 added March 30, 2022 at 6:10am
Restrictions: None
Northampton, Massachusetts
Locale: Northampton. Massachusetts

Week of: March 28, 2022

         This week finds me in Northampton, Massachusetts for a class with the the township.  This is my third trip to this area.  I've delivered a class to the University of Massachusetts in Amherst , less than 5 miles from my current hotel.  I've also delivered a class in Westfield, Massachusetts, about 20 miles away.  I'm familiar with the area, but I can't say I know the area well.

         This has been a 'fun' class so far, at least for me.  The subject is 'Fleetmapping', and you might wonder what in the heck does Fleetmapping have to do with a radio system?  It's simple really.  To state it in simple terms, it's configuring the system (stuff that is mounted in 19" wide racks), and the field radios (hand carried or vehicle radios) so they can then operate properly, providing maximum coverage.  Think of your cell phone (it's really a radio), and how you sometimes lose the cell signal.  Suppose it lost the signal because it wasn't programmed properly.  Suppose there were plenty of towers around, but your cell phone couldn't access them because it wasn't programmed correctly?  The same thing can happen in a radio system.  You wouldn't want a Public Safety Officer to lose radio coverage while trying to keep us all safe, would you?  So Fleetmapping is all about configuring things so the system and the radios can do what they are made to do.  It's not that difficult, but there are vastly different ways to program these devices.  So many ways that it can make your head spin.

         To me, the best thing about this class, is that you don't have to be a technician to learn this.  You don't need to know electronics or radio theory.  You have to know what the system can do (that's a part of this class), and what the radio can do (also a part of this class).  Then you plan how you want the devices programmed to accomplish your goals.  We do hands-on activities in this class, but they consist of completing Excel spreadsheets.  When the class is complete, a customer can modify the spreadsheets we use in class, create their own, or whatever they want to do.  But when it's all said and done, they will have their system and radios programmed to work together.  One of my students this week is non-technical, and even said she's computer illiterate.  Yet yesterday, after just two days of class, she said, "It's starting to make sense, I'm really picking this up!"  Those words are music to this old man's ears.

         Also in this class are two Motorola Solutions Employees.  One is an Engineer that I know from online meetings.  We're both part of a NE Fleetmapping Focus group.  What this group's goal is, is to standardize Fleetmapping activities by providing standardized Fleetmap Spreadsheets to customers when they upgrade or purchase new systems.  I got involved with them thanks to an Engineer who was talking to our Instructor Manager one day, and our manager recommended he get in touch with me.  The other Motorola employee is one of the Project Managers involved with this customer.  He's been pretty complimentary so far, and considering this is my first time delivering this class at a customer's location (I've been delivering this class for 2 years now, all have been taught online), it means a lot to me.


Noteworthy Restaurants:


         Northampton Brewery - https://northamptonbrewery.com/  I went 'simple' here, and had their Catfish Bites, and a Pollock Sandwich with Onion Rings.  Very good, but I brought some back to the hotel to have leftovers.

indent}Fitzwilly's Restaurant - https://fitzwillys.com/dining/menu/  If you like things spicy, get their Tequila Lime Shrimp.  It has about the same level of spiciness that a good Cajun dish has.  It will definitely warm you up!  I also had their Wicked Alfredo.  Andouille, chicken, roasted red peppers, penne pasta, red pepper alfredo sauce.  It was excellent, but far too large for me.

         Osaka Restaurant - http://www.osakarestaurantgroup.com/dinnernorthampton.htm  I love good Sushi/Sashimi, this place did not disappoint me.  Plus, the portion sizes were excellent, so I didn't get stuffed.  (I've lost about 25 lbs in the last/ two years, and want to keep it off).


In Closing

         I will spend the weekend at home before going to Shaumburg on Sunday to complete the class with the Philippine Armed Forces (Sunday & Monday), and cross training an Instructor from our Asia Pacific group the rest of the week.  Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!



Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2022 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1029724-Northampton-Massachusetts