*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033194-So-Long-Frank-Lloyd-Wright
Rated: 18+ · Book · Music · #2274097
A short story collection based on Simon & Garfunkel's album [Musicology Anthology, 5/'22]
#1033194 added June 25, 2022 at 12:33am
Restrictions: None
So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright


So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright


"Afternoon, Steve!"

"Hi, Rick! How's it going?"

"Not bad, not bad, although I think I may have to start thinking about changing jobs."

"Really? I thought you liked your spot at that insurance place?"

"Well, yeah I do, I do - oh, a Warsteiner Dark Lager, please?"

Rick took a couple of sips and smacked his lips. "That's good stuff, Steve."

"You know it, my friend. So...the job?"

"Oh, yeah. It seems that Corporate is looking for new digs. They're tired of always having to lease some generic cube collection, so they want to have a new headquarters built."

"And that's a problem for you, because...?"

"They posted the basic design on the company intranet today. You know that golden spiral thing just south of Alameda and east of the Valley Highway?"

"In the Denver Design District? Sure. What about it?"

"Corporate wants the building to be along those lines, but 5-6 stories high. It looks like a giant Jenga game!"

"Well, that does sound pretty unusual but, really, Rick, how bad can it be? I've never heard any complaints about the District's structure."

"First off: that's just a sculpture, not a building with people in it. Secondly—and most importantly—I'm a manager. That means I'd get a corner office, and that means my butt would be hanging out over the edge on one of those cockeyed floors! I tell ya, Steve, it just creeps me right out!"

"It'd be no Frank Lloyd Wright design, that's for sure," Steve commented. "Well look, Rick, something like that has to cost a fortune with the extra structural security and all. Maybe, when they get the architect's final design and approach a builder, they'll get some serious sticker shock and go with something a little more traditional."

"I hope you're right, Steve. There're enough odd looking buildings in the Metro area already. I mean, if I want weird, all I have to do is take a drive west on I-70 to Genessee. That spaceship house is still up there."

"Yeah, it is. I'll bet Woody Allen and the crew had a great time filming inside that thing. Those curving windows make for a fantastic view."


[WC: 362]

Lyrics

Won during one of  [Link To User wordgeek] 's fundraisers
© Copyright 2022 Writer_Mike (UN: mikewrites at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writer_Mike has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033194-So-Long-Frank-Lloyd-Wright