*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1036899-A-2-Day-Class-In-Schaumburg
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#1036899 added August 24, 2022 at 10:16pm
Restrictions: None
A 2-Day Class In Schaumburg
Teaching Teaching In Schaumburg For Two Days

Locale: Schaumburg, Illinois

Week of: 8/22/22

         Yey!!  I made it through a class without COVID hitting me.  Well, okay, it was only two days, but still...

         I last taught this class about 4 years ago, but was not worried about my knowledge and presentation of it.  The device is called the MLC 8000, with dimensitons of 1.7 in x 8.6 in x 10.4 in.  It's a small box essentially, but does quite a few things.  We designed it to do 2 functions, but customers have gone far beyond that.  Luckily, I only have to know what it was designed for, not everything it's being used for.

         My concern in this class delivery was that the MLC's in my small system were not fully implemented.  I had configured them many times, but needed necessary hardware (cables) made to connect them to other devices.  Also needed is a small box called a TIM's set, or Transmission Impairment Measurement Set.  This is used to check the level of an audio signal over an analog connection.  I had neither the cables, nor the TIM's set on hand, and was sure it would be mentioned.  And it was.  In the course critiques, every student mentioned the lack of test equipment, and said we needed one.  True statement.  Sadly, that will not happen most likely, unless I purchase it myself.  We'll see what the future holds.

         During the class, I cleared up some misconceptions that each of the students had about the device, and was able to answer every question asked.  I guess that carried over to the course critiques, because they were surprisingly good.  One student didn't really care for the class, the hardware on hand, and my knowledge.  The other 4 were fine with everything.  In fact, during the class, we made the necessary cables to connect the MLC's to the Base Radios!  *Smile*  After a quick calibration, the links were showing 'green', meaning the MLC connection to the Base Radio was good, and communication would occur if a radio transmitted on the channel.  A major milestone and accomplishment if you ask me.  I sent my supervisor a note about the class along with my thoughts and future goals.  We'll see if any of those are acted on or what.

         I'm home the rest of this week, going to the Chiropractor today and tomorrow, and relaxing all I can. Other than vacation I scheduled last year, I am busy until Thanksgiving, then my next off period after that is Christmas....


In Closing


         I am in Schaumburg again next week before flying home to Albuquerque HS Class reunion, the 50th!  My schedule remains full to the gills through the end of the year and through March of 2023.  Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!





Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2022 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1036899-A-2-Day-Class-In-Schaumburg